Bone pen for Ortho Surgeon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

daddydaygo

Long story short I'm a bone cancer survivor (6 months of chemo, 5 major surgeries where they replaced my knee and femur with titanium. 6 months in remission woo!). Anyways I wanted to gift my Ortho a nice pen as a thank you for everything he has done for me (Maybe made with real bone of some sort). I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this but if anyone is up for the task would you DM me so we can talk? Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

I've done a few using deer antler. They were sheds that were found, no deer were harmed in the making of the pens. I've heard that cow bones can be used also but I've never used one. Can be had at the butcher shop. Most bone handled pocket knives are made from cow femurs.
Bone is very hard, and the outside of the bone is very dense.
You need sharp tools ! I used carbide chisels and went slow with a light touch. Worked fine. Finished with sandpaper and Micromesh. I'd highly recommend using a mask as you don't want to be breathing in bone dust.

woodwzrd

As has already been said deer antler would be a good choice but there are also alligator jaw bone blanks out there that are really cool. Elk antler is very porous so I would stay away from that for pens unless it is stabilized.

PenCasso

Here is thinking our of the box. Got to a pet box store and get you a big bone and wash it and there you have it.

I just bought my dog a bone and it was huge.

Top Bottom