Boiling snakewood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Downes

I am going to turn some snakewood pens for my brothers B-day next week and I came across an reference that suggested boiling the wood before turning. Also it suggested useing a flexible glue for the pen tubes. Has anyone used this method? How long do you boil the wood? How does this affect the finishing process?

PensofColor

Hi, Paul. I am unfamiliar with the boiling process, but we have microwaved Snakewood before. Just put it in the microwave by itself (not on a plate or anything), and heat it on high power. Check it often, and as soon as it is too hot to touch barehanded, grab an oven mitt and remove it. This supposedly gets a lot of the moisture out of it. Don't let it cook unattended...keep an eye on it.

Drill and turn it in stages. That is, drill a little at a time, nice and slow, a while to cool and re-acclimate. Then drill some more. Do the same with turning. I know a guy who roughs it out the first day, then lets it sit overnight. The next day he turns a little more off, then lets it sit overnight again. He says it takes him about a week to turn the pen, but he swears he has never had one crack on him...before, during, or after turning!

Rudy Vey

Have not tried the boiling yet, but I can tell that the two pens I turned have both cracked within a week or two. The wood was supposedly dried and ready for final turning. I took all care of drill slow, using PU glue and turn very carefully, not to remove too much and did not get it hot at all during finishing - it cracked.

I checked on them every day and as I decided to take it to my gallery for sale,that day when I checked it had cracked. There was no influence of deviation in humidity or temperature, and the wood was in my shop for about 3 weeks to get acclimated. It just happend what I always read about Snakewood - it cracks if not boiled.

Rudy

Daniel

I have never done anything with snakewood. But from wht i have heard about it it does need to be "Boiled" something about the oils in it has been my impression. but without boiling it is extremely prone to cracking.
I just borrowed this from the Yahoo group.

The boil cure method is where you actually boil the
wood for 15-20 mins then put it in a sealed plastic
bag and let it sit for about 2 days. then you start
opening the bag a little bit at a time until after 2-3
weeks you just leave the peice sitting on the table. I
usually leave it out of the bag for a week then work
with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom