Bog Oak from Ukraine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VotTak

This thread is only to figure out interest in a group buy.

I'd like to know if there are 15 people in the US who are willing to buy 10 pen blanks of Ukrainian bog oak imported directly from a seller in Ukraine.
He gathers Bok oak logs and does all the cutting. he also certifies his wood, although not all the logs as certification is very expensive. As per seller "your money are back in case you are not satisfied". He is sure that you will be happy with received goods.
Blanks are a hair over 3/4" square and 5" long.

The cost would be $45 for 10 blanks shipped to my door plus shipping(in US) to your door and PayPal fees.
This cost is for the quantity purchased (160 blanks are the most economical shipping) and includes shipping cost to me. There is certificate of authenticity for the wood we will receive and it will be provided with package.

In case we find 15 people than you would have to pay me and then wait for about 2 weeks for them to get here. I will be sending packages following Saturday.

Please, let me know whether there is desire to get in the group.
Here is just a quick picture of what is already cut:
Bog_oak_wood_pen_blanks.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

Count me in. I had UBO a couple of years ago that came with a certificate. 8 by 11 paper, written in cyrillic (sp) alphabet. Customers liked them.

SteveG

I have previously purchased Ukraine Bog Oak blanks from R&B that came with a certified copy of carbon dating proving the age of 5460 years, as did BURLMAN (post #5). Is the certification you speak of this same carbon dating type of certificate? If it is, I am in for ten, possibly 20 blanks.

VotTak

I'm interested as well. Out of curiosity is it a certificate with each blank like a business card size?
It is not a certificate per each blank. If I understand correctly, verdor sends material for lab certification from limited logs he pulls from ground to have an idea of age. As a result of lab analysis he receives PDF file which states radiocarbon date of sample, lab name and code etc. It looks like this:View attachment 2285 years.pdf That sample analysis in lab cost is around 100 euro, so I imagine that some logs are being certified, tagged and processed.

I saw certificates for wood dated from 2000 to 3000+ years. I will ask for older.
I assume that in case we got couple more interested members I can email to Monty and discuss how do we proceed.

Last edited:

TonyL

I made one for myself yesterday. I simply used doctor's workshop (WNO and shellac mixture) and micro wax, and I like it better than when I used CA. Here's a quick pic on a brass professor. I did sand to 2000 though. Very nice material.

Attachments

• Bog Oak 1.jpg
    Bog Oak 1.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 223
  • Bog Oak 2.jpg
    Bog Oak 2.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 237
Top Bottom