bodark(aka)osage orange.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

guts

my sawmill buddy gave me some o.o.and in it i found some spalt,question is has any one else seen any spalt in this wood?i thought it was to hard for anything to penetrate,has some age to it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Spalted OO? [:0] That is a first. Normally rocks will rot before this stuff. It's demise usually comes when some kind of wormies eat it. Are you sure it isn't simply figure? Some OO will have figure. Can you post some pictures?

Randy_

You are more likely to find information on this wood if you use the correct spelling which is Bois d'Arc. I'm surprised Frank didn't comment??

Here is some interesting information for those who are interested:
http://www.smu.edu/anthro/collections/boisdarc.html

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Actually, Bodark is just one of the names osage orange is called, as a touch more research reveals. Sit back and relax, Frank. No comment needed. [8D]

http://www.gpnc.org/osage.htm

its_virgil

Me too. I have some OO pen blanks that was a fence post in a prior life. My Grandfather put it in the ground in the late 30's. It had fallen to the ground years ago (decades maybe) and was coverved with 1 ft of dirt and grass. It yielded 50 solid, non spalted, non punky wood that still made sparks when the chain saw started cutting it. The wood was not golden yellow any longer, but a nice golden brown with some golden yellow hints. Oh yea, it was in a fence along the banks of a 5 acre lake and often is under water in spring and fall.

I also have some chunks that served as piers to hold up a house. They must be at least 100 yrs old and are as hard and dense as the fence post. And, they are just as golden brown with no insect damage at all.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Dario
<br />Another person here who wants to see a spalted OO...picture please [:D]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Actually, Bodark is just one of the names osage orange is called, as a touch more research reveals. Sit back and relax, Frank. No comment needed. [8D]

http://www.gpnc.org/osage.htm

I have to comment, I'll explode if I don't. [:0]
Yer right. Bodark is completely acceptable. In fact, around where I live, in conversation that is the common name.
Relax? Wats that? [;)]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by blodal
<br />Hmmm.. I have a row of Bodark trees behind my house. I think they need trimming.

The stuff needs forever and a month to dry. But, after an initial period, I haven't had problems with cracking. Be sure to anchorseal the ends immediately when you cut. It is ver-r-r-y hard stuff but I enjoy turning. I suggest you slab the sides also, then let set until you can't stand it any longer.

guts

Frank,it was pretty much dry when this old boy gave it to me,turned a p&p set out of it yesterday and no cracks yet,will keep my fingers crossed,thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom