Board Games

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Need: Suggestions for fun ...not too complicated or thought provoking board games for 4 people. My idea of fun with other couples after BBQ or pizza is playing pool for a few hours. That is not working out. Most women are not interested in a evening of 8ball. We tried MahJong and that was the pits. Dominos was Ok but not exciting. Need something where we can have a good laugh or at least bust each other's chops. Thanks. Frank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

A couple my family enjoys are Azul, king of Tokyo and Dominion. Simple enough for kids to catch on but challenging enough to keep up the interest. Dominion has a bunch of expansion packs which keep the game fresh.

Curly

Cribbage can be fun if you are good at counting extra holes without being caught. Knew some pilots that could leave people way behind and never got caught. ;)

cjester

Ticket To Ride or Carcassone are often named as good games for getting friends into board games, we have and enjoy both. Settlers of Catan is also very popular.

You say "good laugh or at least bust each other's chops" - I've got several card games to recommend. These will all accommodate various numbers of players, and are fun social games. They should be readily available at most local games stores.
Munchkin: Fight monsters, stab your buddy in the back. Very silly game. Million expansions available, which are fun if you really get into it, but not at all necessary.

Fluxx: There's a whole bunch of editions available. Some broadly thematic (pirates, or zombies) and some specific to fandoms (Firefly, Dr Who). Also fairly silly. The rules are always in flux. The cards you play will change the current rules. For example, another player has lots of cards and might be close to winning, so you play a smaller hand limit rule, forcing them to discard a bunch.

Aye, Dark Overlord: One person plays the dark overlord who sent the other players out on a quest which failed completely. Throw each other under the bus trying to pass the blame and explain what went wrong.

Superfight: Draw two cards - one character, one attributes. Another player does the same. Argue why your fighter would defeat their fighter. Rest of the players act as judges.

Aye, Dark Overlord and Superfight are heavy on improv, great for a group that enjoys sitting around BS'ing each other.

pshrynk

Depending on your age level of guests and a few other factors, Cards Against Humanity is always a blast. Sorta takes a certain mindset, though. If you aren't comfortable with profanity and some occasional really gross-out situations, it's not something I would recommend. Lots of expansion packs, too.

WarEagle90

Rummy Cube is a great game. Variation of rummy and dominoes. Everyone in my family loves it, kids and adults alike. Rules are fairly simple, but play can get interesting.

WriteON

Depending on your age level of guests and a few other factors, Cards Against Humanity is always a blast. Sorta takes a certain mindset, though. If you aren't comfortable with profanity and some occasional really gross-out situations, it's not something I would recommend. Lots of expansion packs, too.
Without profanity I have no vocabulary.

Paul in OKC

Azul, Ticket to Ride, Catan, Tsoro or Tsoro of the Sea (might be the same game). Splendor. I never knew these existed, then my oldest daughter got into board gaming and my oh my, there's a whole other world out there!

Angela S

Cjester and Paul's post has some great suggestions.

Unstable Unicorns: I a fun silly themed card game. Depending on the people you are playing with styles of play. You can play cut throat or not.

Sushi Go: A completely different style silly themed card game. In this game you are trying to earn point by making sushi. Everyone chooses a card from their hand and then passes their hand to the person to the the right. You repeat this process until the hands are empty.

Dixit: This game is simple, but fun. You have to cryptically describe some strange art. This usually leads to some weird descriptions and some "what were you thinking" moments.

If you would like a cooperative game, both Pandemic and Castle Panic are fun and challenging.

MTViper

We play Mexican Train Dominoes (Walmart has ones with numbers instead of spots, makes counting easier), Phase 10 (cards), Sequence, and Farkle (dice - get a leather dice cup if you have teenagers). Games last 1-2 hours depending on the game. Lots of fun and good hearted ribbing opportunities.

Top Bottom