Blue Titanium Cigar pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jttheclockman

jttheclockman

A short while back I posted asking about the new blue titanium cigar kits that are available and thought I would try some for myself. I took a break from scrolling in the shop to put a few quick ones of these together. I casted my usual chrome mylar blanks and add a bit of tint. The one on the left is no tint, the middle is seven drops of blue tint, and the one I wanted to try to darken some so I went with 20 drops of tint. Now I should have realized this but for future experiments like this and to others who want to try this, pick your kit carefully. This was probably not the right kit for this because as we all know who cast that when using transparent blanks they change somewhat when turned down to portions that are real thin such as cap area and nib area in this case. This changes the intensity of the color. It is not as noticable in the middle one because of the lite tint but the one on the right does show some. Probably use that one for my own to test the wear on this kit. I like the feel of cigar pens. Next time I will use kits that are consistent in barrel diameter throughout. Typical cigar kit and went together easily and easy to match the diam to components. Will probably make a few more with different blanks and see how they sell this winter if at all.

The segmented one was another quick blank I made from imitation casein material, blue cebloplast acrylic, and aluminum. Glued with epoxy and spun down using carbide cutter and final cutting with skew. Polished with MM. Thanks for looking and comments or questions are always welcomed.

Attachments

• Copy of Copy of IMGP0438.JPG
    Copy of Copy of IMGP0438.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 382
  • Copy of IMGP0441.JPG
    Copy of IMGP0441.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 412
  • Copy of IMGP0442.JPG
    Copy of IMGP0442.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

That segmented one is really sweet... the blue bands (blue celoplast?) really work nicely with the blue titanium.
Sorry missed the b that is Cebloplast material. It is a vintage Italian acrylic that is well sought after. Here are 2 cigar pens I made with red and the blue which I used in this one. Tough to see the dramatic shift in colors from the photo but this is beautiful material to work with and makes some real nice pens. I cast the white resin blank. These are older pens.

Attachments

• red and blue cigar pens.JPG
    red and blue cigar pens.JPG
    273.8 KB · Views: 253

jttheclockman

All magnificent! The segmented one is really sweet. How did you like the kit?

Tony as I mentioned it is like any other cigar kit. How the plating holds up will be a time factor thing. I may use the dark blue as my desk pen for awhile. I may not be the one to really test the finish because I do not abuse my pens but will see. The kit goes together well and refill fits perfect. I bought these from Bear Tooth Woods. Ernie is a great guy to deal with. One of the kits had a couple pieces missing. Next day they were in the mail.

John Eldeen

John those are some good looking pens the chrome mylar blanks in all the levels of tint look great. Is there a pervious thread out there where you talk about making them and if not would you mind sharing your process and materials.

TonyL

Tony as I mentioned it is like any other cigar kit. How the plating holds up will be a time factor thing. I may use the dark blue as my desk pen for awhile. I may not be the one to really test the finish because I do not abuse my pens but will see. The kit goes together well and refill fits perfect. I bought these from Bear Tooth Woods. Ernie is a great guy to deal with. One of the kits had a couple pieces missing. Next day they were in the mail.
Thx!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'm late to the game to admire these. All are extremely nice. Without bias - I love the segmented pen the best. Simple elegant lines and a great combination of materials. This is a pen I would have been proud to make. Every time I see others use the alternate casin I want to play with it also, but have just not made the effort yet. Your design and color combination I really like.

Thanks for sharing. (The last pen picture is also intriguing, I'm undecided on the blue components, but your material is a great match and I do like it).

leehljp

Member Liaison
ALL are pure ART. I've said it before - you have that "touch", and an eye for what works - before making it. Most of us have some great hits - and a bunch of misses, but yours are all HITS.

jttheclockman

John those are some good looking pens the chrome mylar blanks in all the levels of tint look great. Is there a pervious thread out there where you talk about making them and if not would you mind sharing your process and materials.

John I did not look up old threads but I have mentioned using this material many times along with other braiding materials which include Stainless, Brass, copper, gold mylar and silver mylar along with fiberglass and carbon fibers.

Process is simple. Just treat it like any other sleeve casting material. I use Silmar41 for these type castings. So I also adhere the braiding to the tube with the same. In the case of the chrome mylar being it is somewhat transparent I use silver toned tubes. I mix a small amount of resin and slap on the tube on slide the sleeve over it. I then sinch the ends with tywraps to take out any air gaps. Set it on my drying rack and make sure there is no drips forming under them. Dry for 24 hours and then trim and cast vertical in tubes with the same resin. Now the tubes are slid over a rod and placed on rack. I enclosed a photo of it.

Material can be had from various places. https://www.cableorganizer.com/mylar/?=recommended

Attachments

• IMGP0583.JPG
    IMGP0583.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 194
  • cigar  chrome.JPG
    cigar chrome.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 204
  • IMGP0623.JPG
    IMGP0623.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 202
  • IMGP0074.JPG
    IMGP0074.JPG
    229 KB · Views: 209

jttheclockman

Not sure about art or having an eye but these were something quick I made just to try the kit out. At some time in Dec i will be done with shows and will get back to making a few pens again. i thank all for the nice comments and hope I answered any questions and if not just fire them off again and I will. As far as the imitation casein it is real nice material and looks like the real stuff and is more forgiving in that it is acrylic. here is a pen where I used a combination of materials and one was the casein and the other is truestone. I love this combination and have sold it this way too.

Attachments

• IMGP0761.JPG
    IMGP0761.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 195

John Eldeen

John I did not look up old threads but I have mentioned using this material many times along with other braiding materials which include Stainless, Brass, copper, gold mylar and silver mylar along with fiberglass and carbon fibers.

Process is simple. Just treat it like any other sleeve casting material. I use Silmar41 for these type castings. So I also adhere the braiding to the tube with the same. In the case of the chrome mylar being it is somewhat transparent I use silver toned tubes. I mix a small amount of resin and slap on the tube on slide the sleeve over it. I then sinch the ends with tywraps to take out any air gaps. Set it on my drying rack and make sure there is no drips forming under them. Dry for 24 hours and then trim and cast vertical in tubes with the same resin. Now the tubes are slid over a rod and placed on rack. I enclosed a photo of it.

Material can be had from various places. https://www.cableorganizer.com/mylar/?=recommended
Thanks John

Top Bottom