BLO Concerns

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Call me old-fashioned, but I have a few concerns about BLO and I thought some of you with experience might shed some light on my concerns. They are:
1) No UV (ultraviolet) light resistance... UV causes more damage to exposed wood than any other factor, destroying wood fibers and setting it up for attack by mildew, fungus, and insects.
2) Linseed oil is not completely denatured, so it can encourage rather than discourage mildew growth.
3} From a can of BLO--"Use of this product will expose you to arsenic, beryllium, chromium, cadmium and nickel, which are known to cause cancer; and lead which is known to cause birth defects and other reproductive harm."
4) Spontaneous combustion possibilities.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

timdaleiden

Those are some things to keep in mind when using a BLO/CA finish. When using any finishing product there are generally recommendations about using them in a well ventilated area. That is something to keep in mind. CA in itself is quite nasty until it dries.

As for the spontaneous combustion, I have seen paper towels start to smoke, so be careful.

Always read the warning section on your finishing products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom