BLO (boiled linseed oil) speeds up the curing of CA glue.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brage

I did a small experiment to see if this indeed is the case. On top of a metal lid, I placed four small blobs of CA mixed with different stuff. Back left: CA+CA, back right: CA+raw walnut oil, front right: CA+BLO, front left: CA+water. In a few minutes, the CA+water and the CA+BLO began to solidify. The CA+CA and the CA+walnut oil remained liquid. After three hours, the CA+CA and the CA+walnut oil were still liquid, but the CA+water and the CA+BLO were completely cured and could be scraped off with a knife. I did not have any raw linseed oil to include in the experiment. I hope that somebody can make that test! Maybe raw LO would react in the same way as raw walnut oil? Maybe the "boiled" property of BLO is what cures CA? Maybe the type of BLO is important. Some BLO is made by pushing hot air through the raw oil, while some BLO is made by adding chemicals to the raw oil.
DSC_0600.jpeg
DSC_0601.jpeg

FGarbrecht

A nice controlled experiment, interesting. I've noticed that something in Myland's cellulose sealer accelerates CA pretty significantly (even when the Myland's is dry), although I haven't done any formal testing.

jttheclockman

Brage, first welcome to the site. glad to have you and glad to see you doing some experiments. But I must caution you this is totally different than applying to a uncontrollable pen blank. Every wood reacts differently and definitely stay away from water. That is one of the huge factors when it comes to problems with CA as a finish. People have used BLO as an additive when applying CA and some had success and some not so much. If you are looking for a quick cure then stick with accelerator that is made specifically for the brand CA you are using. Again not all CA is equal. As I mentioned wood is not the same. When you introduce more oil into an already oily wood such as rosewoods then you open yourself for adhesion problems.

Many ways to apply CA as a finish and ask 100 people how they do it and get 200 answers. So good luck with your experiment and hope to see some of your work as you continue this hobby. Again welcome aboard.

One thing I forgot to mention is there is a new formula of BLO that is hitting the shelfs in all the big box stores. Stay away from it. It is suppose to be a green version that is environmentally safe well it does not do what true BLO actually does so mixing with polys or other ingredients may have a ill effect. You have been warned. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom