Blessing in disguise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

About a month and a half ago we had some hail...mostly 5/8" but a few are as big as 2" [:0]

About 2 weeks ago I noticed a flutter of roofing activity around our area and almost all the houses are getting a new roof! One contractor asked me if I reported mine and I said no. He informed me that maybe I should. I did and they gave a contact and after setting a schedule we agreed for the adjuster to come last Friday. He did the inspection early morning and we talked a bit and he said looks like I may be getting a new roof too. Today I went to the post office and to my surprise received a sizeable check from my insurance company!!! Within 3 DAYS (including weekend)!!! [:0][:0][:0]

Here's one hurrah to FARMERS!

The blessing? My roof is not that new and will probably need replacing in a year or two anyway. I've planned on it but been putting it off since I can't afford it. Now that problem is solved.

I really believe HE looks over us and comes when most needed. [^]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

That's great Dario. We had the same thing happen when we lived in Minnesota, except there Farmers stiffed all the people in our neighborhood whose roofs were destroyed, said they were old anyway.[:0] Fortunately, our insurance was not with them, so we got a new roof and three new skylights.

woodman928

We had storm and hail damage a few years back in my area. Everyone on all sides of me for about 5 or 6 houses got a new roof from the damage. I called my insurance agent and they came out and inspected my roof and low and behold my house was the only one the hole area that had no damage even tho I had a leak inside and my house was in the middle of where all the damage was. Good old STATE FARM wrote me a check right on the spot for $54. and Cancled me 3 day later. This is the Company that I HAD my auto and home insurance with for over 32 years. Great COMPANY. [:(!][:(!][:(!] [V][V][V]
Jay

PenWorks

Man....I work hard all day. (well that could be a subjective term)
Getting ready to kick back and read a few words......
and happen onto this thread [V] I just can't get away from it [:D]

Just remember, your insurance is only as good as your agent....[;)]
Has anyone talked to a lizard lately [:D]

Gary Max

Have you ever have BBQ lizard for dinner----just like chicken.
Anyway Anthony hit the nail on the head--- your agent is the one who makes things happen. I also sell my agent pens ---hehehe.

woodwish

Living on the Gulf Coast after the hurricanes of the last couple of years I can't say many good things about any insurance company. We still have State Farm but now the deductible on hurricane damage goes from the usual $500 to 10% of the value of the home. In other words unless the house is completely demolished you won't collect anything it seems. Premiums have tripled in the last five years on about every company here!

Dario

Originally posted by woodwish
<br />Living on the Gulf Coast after the hurricanes of the last couple of years I can't say many good things about any insurance company. We still have State Farm but now the deductible on hurricane damage goes from the usual $500 to 10% of the value of the home. In other words unless the house is completely demolished you won't collect anything it seems. Premiums have tripled in the last five years on about every company here!

I used to live in Guam, USA (it is somewhere in the Pacific [:D]) and it is battered by typhoon (i.e. hurricane here) and earthquake regularly. A couple typhoons while I was there was strong enough to cause island wide power outage for months!!! One broke Andersen Air Force base's wind gauge at 190 mph!!! [:0]. During that no NEW house/building was damaged other than broken windows because their building code is California compliant (and it is strictly enforced [;)] unlike in California LOL).

One earthquake registered at 8.1 on the Richter scale...with hundreds of aftershocks some as strong as 7.2 [:0]. We lost only one building that time...a new sea front hotel scheduled to open in less than 5 days whom the owner forced the architect to change the foundation design to save. I think the insurance company found out about it. It didn't collapse but leaned enough that it was demolished by blasting (imploding) a few weeks after.

Sure the structures cost a LOT more but worth it...maybe it is time to impose the same on hurricane prone areas?

I know concrete structures can save people a lot on insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom