Full Review Blast gates

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I am redoing some of my dust collector setup. I want to add a couple of blast gates. I have a simple question. Is it best to place the blast gates closer to the dust collector or closer to each tool. I suspect the answer is closer to the dust collector but I'm not sure if it matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have two Jet filters: A ceiling mounted - AFS1000B; and a Cyclone - DC-1100 YX-CX, 1.5 HP, 2 micron.

The cyclone is connected to a series of blast gates. The first is about 4' away and the next is about 12' away from the unit. The first is to my primary lathe (Nova 1624), and the second to my secondary mini lathe (Jet mini). Even at a 12' range, a portal below the lathe bed, the suction is adequate for my purposes. I believe the more important issue is the joints in the tubing leading to the ports. I have duct taped the joints, as well as PVC glued them.

I'll take some pictures.

Edit: Adding some pictures. I hope they are helpful - they are "shop" pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_1725.jpg
    IMG_1725.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_1724.jpg
    IMG_1724.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_1720.jpg
    IMG_1720.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_1721.jpg
    IMG_1721.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1722.jpg
    IMG_1722.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_1723.jpg
    IMG_1723.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:

KenB259

I have two Jet filters: A ceiling mounted - AFS1000B; and a Cyclone - DC-1100 YX-CX, 1.5 HP, 2 micron.

The cyclone is connected to a series of blast gates. The first is about 4' away and the next is about 12' away from the unit. The first is to my primary lathe (Nova 1624), and the second to my secondary mini lathe (Jet mini). Even at a 12' range, a portal below the lathe bed, the suction is adequate for my purposes. I believe the more important issue is the joints in the tubing leading to the ports. I have duct taped the joints, as well as PVC glued them.

I'll take some pictures.

My runs are going to be short. There will be a y connector , right at the collector with one going to my table saw, about 5 feet and the other to my band saw about 5 feet as well. I can put the blast gates on either end. Just don't know which would be best or even if it matters. Right now I have one hose that I move between them. I want to get away from having to manually move it.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
My runs are going to be short. There will be a y connector , right at the collector with one going to my table saw, about 5 feet and the other to my band saw about 5 feet as well. I can put the blast gates on either end. Just don't know which would be best or even if it matters. Right now I have one hose that I move between them. I want to get away from having to manually move it.

I also have a Y connector/gate close to the cyclone collector. I suspect with tight joints, you will be fine with the blast gate at either end - your choice for what is convenient. I'll just emphasize having good joints - taped, glued or both. For me, the joints are more important than the gate location.

KenB259

I also have a Y connector/gate close to the cyclone collector. I suspect with tight joints, you will be fine with the blast gate at either end - your choice for what is convenient. I'll just emphasize having good joints - taped, glued or both. For me, the joints are more important than the gate location.

I'll make sure the joints are tight. Thanks for your input.

dpstudios

Most shops put the gates close to the machine the hose is connected to for ease of use. It is easier to open and close the gate from your work station, than to go to the DC every time you need it. Also if you are connected to 2 or more machines this guarantees that you only have one port(?) open at a time.

TonyL

I do not know which is better, but mine are close to the machines but immediately after the Y which sits on the bench of the first machine - it was more convenient for me.

Top Bottom