Blank storing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenmore

Hi everyone I have a question for you. I have some 2" red oak and want to rip them down to 2"x2" I want to know what I can put onto them so when they are drying so the don't crack during the drying process.

Doghouse

Leave them wider than 2" to save on bending. Wax the ends with anchor seal and let it sit for 2 years. Wood dries from the ends. The wax slows this process so it does not crack. It will take about 2 years for 2" to dry on average.

Or if they are short enough, a couple of trips to the microwave will do it.

its_virgil

There is a special end grain sealer called anchorseal (better check my spelling). It is available from WC, CSUSA, Rockler but probably not at the home centers. I have used parafin....can get it at grocery stores in the canning section..it is used to seal jelly jars. Some have reported using latex paint...Maybe a google search would uncover a recipe for making an endgrain sealer at home. Good luck.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Glenmore
<br />Hi everyone I have a question for you. I have some 2" red oak and want to rip them down to 2"x2" I want to know what I can put onto them so when they are drying so the don't crack during the drying process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom