Blank inquiry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carlmorrell

Looks like cebloplast. turnerswarewhouse (uk) and exotic blanks are good places to look. I think there was a company called mazzuccelli, also erionoid.

RobS

JohnU

Here's one similar only with additional colors....
I've seen other variations in them but they must be out at the moment.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thank you, John. The Mazzuchelli blanks we offer are vintage and will not be restocked since they have long been discontinued.

We will attempt to have Italy make something similar--we will see how close it is.
Still have a couple hundred in stock.

EricRN

Thank you, John. The Mazzuchelli blanks we offer are vintage and will not be restocked since they have long been discontinued.

We will attempt to have Italy make something similar--we will see how close it is.
Still have a couple hundred in stock.
Ed, when you have these made up, are they acrylic or are you able to get cellulose acetate manufactured? My understanding is the Mazzuchelli stuff is acetate vs. newer resins and acrylic plastics. Maybe it's all in my head but I much prefer the acetate. It feels warmer and softer in hand to me. The newer plastics (acrylic acetate, rhinoplastic, polyresins, etc.) always seem hard and cold. Would love to get my hands on a true celluloid pen to see how that compares. I've never held one.

EricRN

Ed, when you have these made up, are they acrylic or are you able to get cellulose acetate manufactured? My understanding is the Mazzuchelli stuff is acetate vs. newer resins and acrylic plastics. Maybe it's all in my head but I much prefer the acetate. It feels warmer and softer in hand to me. The newer plastics (acrylic acetate, rhinoplastic, polyresins, etc.) always seem hard and cold. Would love to get my hands on a true celluloid pen to see how that compares. I've never held one.
I should add that I've used this style of cebloplast, which is close to what I originally posted the question about, but not a perfect match. Great stuff nonetheless. https://flic.kr/p/2ihXGyB

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I am not a chemist (disclaimer).

The "Conway Colors" are made by the Italian factory (NOT Mazzuchelli, they make glasses frames now, I am told).
Also the Madreperlatos are made in a similar manner. So, try any of them and you will see they are more dense (tools should be sharper)
and the colors are vivid, by comparison with "Acrylic acetate" which is made in Asia. The Italian product is also substantially more expensive.

True cebloplast was very heat sensitive--I don't know of anyone making it today. (I don't pretend to be omniscient, but I need to know most of the sources.)

EricRN

I am not a chemist (disclaimer).

The "Conway Colors" are made by the Italian factory (NOT Mazzuchelli, they make glasses frames now, I am told).
Also the Madreperlatos are made in a similar manner. So, try any of them and you will see they are more dense (tools should be sharper)
and the colors are vivid, by comparison with "Acrylic acetate" which is made in Asia. The Italian product is also substantially more expensive.

True cebloplast was very heat sensitive--I don't know of anyone making it today. (I don't pretend to be omniscient, but I need to know most of the sources.)
Resurrecting an old thread just to say that the Italian resin is FAR superior in my view to the Chinese stuff. Aside for cellulose acetate, the Italian resin is one of four or so materials I'll use for my nicest pens. The others are Omas new old stock, Conway new old stock, and kirinite. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the Omas and Conway stock were manufactured by the same place that you order your Italian stuff from, Ed.

Top Bottom