Blank Harvesting Advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocStram

As awful as it may be, construction crews recently plowed over (not cut) about 30 full grown trees on our campus. There are huge magnolias, cedar, oak, and pecan.
I've never had the opportunity to cut wood from trees that have such huge exposed roots. Am I correct in assuming that I want to cut some of those roots in the hopes of finding beautiful grain? There's an awful lot of dirt and stones clogging up around the roots. Is it worth the effort of knocking that junk off to get at the roots? I know what to cut off the rest of the trees. This is my first time having the chance to cut roots.
Advice is appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jthompson1995

It'd be a pretty scary ordeal to find a rock stuck in the roots with your chainsaw; we don't need a new topic heading: Docstram vs chainsaw: chainsaw wins. If you can get the dirt and stones off and can see a clear path, go for it carefully.

Oh, and if they were southern magnolias, make sure to get some of that. The stuff I got was cream colored with purple annual rings. It looks great angle cut.

DocStram

Yep, they are Southern Magnolias. Thanks for the heads up about the purple rings. I'll be on the lookout. And, I appreciate the warning about the chainsaw. How was it turning the Magnolia?

Incidentally, Laurie Sullivan, if you are reading this ... I am about to repay your kindness. [:D]

jthompson1995

Magnolia is fairly soft, a lot like holly. Sharp tools are really helpful, as the grain on mine tore a little, so leave a little extra and sand a little more to get a real smooth finish. Also, like holly it may get blue stained if left wet too long. I have had luck cutting it in larger pieces, letting it dry some, then milling to final size and removing the stained outside edges.

Here's a baron I made from angle cut Magnolia:

tn_magnolia%20baron-open.jpg

Dario

Any dirt (innocent they may seem) can kill your chainsaw chains....so as nice the roots maybe, you have to wash it before cutting if possible.

Root ball area where roots meet the trunk usually have nice crotch figure and curls. If you see curls on the bark...chances are the wood will be too [:)]

Good luck!!!

jrc

Some people will pressure wash the root ball and then use a chain saw, but there is still a small risk for rocks. Myself I would go for the branches, the tighter rings looks better. I cut enought wood like this to make a few hunderd pens a year. Cut the branches that are around 2" thick and around 18" long. Quarter then on a band saw stack then and let them dry for a few months. No need to coat the ends cause with the wood being quartered it can swrink without checking or very little. You will get about a pen per inch from a 2" piece. After a few months I cut them into blank size and let them dry a little longer. To test to see if it is dry enought to use, drill one and let it set for a week and if the tube goes in easily and the wood did not swrink it should be dry

woodmarc

Interesting topic. And timely too.
Here in Buffalo we just went through an wicked storm. The local talking heads are saying the there is more than 200 million cubic yards of debris to be removed from downed limbs and trees. [:0]

I was always told that limb wood was too unstable to use for woodworking. unless used in small pieces. smaller that what we would use for a pen.
Don't want to hijack the thread, but since it was alread mentioned....

Anyway, I'll be looking for rootball next week at the town "tree dump" Cant wait to see what rolls in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom