Blank assembly plate

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

John Eldeen

So just as a disclaimer this is not an original idea I seen it on YouTube from RJBWoodTurner. In one of his videos he used a glass plate to build his blank on and I thought to myself that is a great idea. As luck would have it I found a 8x10 picture frame that was not in use to acquire a piece of glass from. Not being very stong on its own I spray glued it down to a peace of 1/2 inch MDF. Now I have a stong flat and somewhat nonstick surface to build my blanks on. Most of the time I use CA to build my blanks it will stick to the glass but it is ok it pops right of with little effort using a frat razor. The flat razor also cleans anything off the glass that is left over so you have a clean flat place to build the next blank. So far this is the best surface I have found for building blanks on and thought I would share it with the group. I anyone has any better ideas or ideas that work for them please share I am always looking for a better or different way.
20191124_094651.jpg20191124_094955.jpg20191124_095114.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

studioseven

I have a glass sheet that I like to use for gluing my tubes into my blanks. After awhile the old glue dries up and I use a single edge razor blade to clean it off. Beats doing it over paper. If anyone else decides to try this, I recommend a thick pane. Sometimes the blank is really adhered to the pane of glass so solidly that I would be afraid a thin pane might break.

Seven

howsitwork

HDPE kitchen chopping board will work too. Nothing sticks to that stuff !

A source of glass is toughened glass shelving if any stores have old,shelves they're getting rid of, or a double glazing unit

PBorowick

I use a 12" x 12" piece of black granite that I got from a cabinet installer shop. They always have pieces left from when they cut out sink openings. It's heavy but it won't slide around and nothing will stick to that either.

bsshog40

I also use a glass that I got from hobby lobby. It's pretty thick and has grid lines on it also. If I'm trying to make my grain on the blanks match with the tubes, one quick slap on the end and the tube is even with the end.

magpens

I'd be afraid the glass would scratch eventually from the cleanup and then the glue might stick harder.

I like using HDPE from a kitchen shop cuz the glue doesn't stick at all.

bsshog40

I'd be afraid the glass would scratch eventually from the cleanup and then the glue might stick harder.

The tempered glass won't scratch, at least I've never seen a scratch. I use a razor knife to clean mine also. CA just scrapes right off no problems.
This is like the one I have.

Attachments

• glass mat.jpg
    glass mat.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 233

John Eldeen

I have not had any problems with that even using the cheap picture frame glass and I have made probably 50 blanks on it already.

Top Bottom