Billiards

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Boy what 10 years has done!!!! Just about got the shop cleaned out. Maybe another day or two. Had a family emergency so had to put on back burner for 2 weeks. But got the game room cleaned and got to see the pool table for the first time in at least 10 years. It is at least playable and there are still some short stick shots needed but that is OK. Well decided to play a few games of 8ball and have to say I suck!! Can not believe how bad I got and to add to this I have a bad left shoulder so have a hard time laying out my left arm to steady stick. Can not get down on the shot very well either because of the back. Man just another game I use to be halfway decent at and have to accept who I have become. Don't get old!!!

Anyway for those billiard players here is a question of rules in 8Ball. Had a disagreement with a friend playing so will throw it out there. Makes no difference shooting stripes or solids. but one person is shooting stripes and he makes a ball striking his ball first and it caroms off a solid ball and both balls go in. No matter if the shot was intentional or not does the person now lose his turn or does he get to continue to shoot??? I say he continues and the friend says he loses his turn. He says it is like a scratch. I say it is the same as if the solid ball did not go in. I could look the rules up for I have a rule book somewhere down there but chose to throw it out here. Heck I am just happy to actually see the table again. I think that is a win.:)

Maybe I should stick to playing on this table:)

Attachments

• Copy of IMGP0098.JPG
    Copy of IMGP0098.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 113
  • Copy of IMGP0105.JPG
    Copy of IMGP0105.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

Play would continue with your next shot, it is not a scratch unless house rules or pre-game agreement dictate otherwise.

That's not official but sounds good plus it is the way I have always played and was a stickler for "the rules" back in the day.

jttheclockman

Play would continue with your next shot, it is not a scratch unless house rules or pre-game agreement dictate otherwise.

That's not official but sounds good plus it is the way I have always played and was a stickler for "the rules" back in the day.
This is how I remember it, a house rule thing. I thought i have played it both ways at times.

bsshog40

John, if there are no set rules, as long as the other player hits his ball first, and it at least goes in, it is his next shot. I play "Call Shot". If I hit my ball and it hits another ball, I must call what ball it is going to hit before my ball goes in the pocket. This would also pertain to hitting side rails also. It is not considered a scratch at anytime unless the cue ball goes in. Then the next shot goes to the next player. Hope this helps. I'm no pro, but I have been playing for many years. Here's mine in my shop.

Attachments

• Pool Table.jpg
    Pool Table.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 110

jttheclockman

Nice table. I probably will change the cloth to Simonis 860 and get the table leveled again. I am sure with all the weight it had on it for those years it probably is out of wack. I can tell the way some of the balls rolled off the rails. Need to really clean the area up though to make it worth while again to sink money into it. Right now things are just organized abit better so that it is possible to walk around it. When I had mine built I had them make a ball return system that is disguised as a drop pocket. They even put rubber in the shoots to keep the noise level down. Works well.

What I really need to do is get back to making some pens. That will be very soon now. Need another day or two in shop to put a few things away yet. Picked up some cabinet space as well as bench space so that is going to help things. Guess I am one of those pack rats.

CREID

I agree with bsshog40. Unless you are playing no slop, since what you described is a slop shot you would continue playing you shot. But if you had determined ahead of time that you were playing no slop you would then lose your turn. My friends and I always played no slop, calling all rails and caroms. When we played league pool it was always played as slop and anything goes as long as you hit one of your balls first.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Nice table. I probably will change the cloth to Simonis 860 and get the table leveled again. I am sure with all the weight it had on it for those years it probably is out of wack. I can tell the way some of the balls rolled off the rails. Need to really clean the area up though to make it worth while again to sink money into it. Right now things are just organized abit better so that it is possible to walk around it. When I had mine built I had them make a ball return system that is disguised as a drop pocket. They even put rubber in the shoots to keep the noise level down. Works well.

What I really need to do is get back to making some pens. That will be very soon now. Need another day or two in shop to put a few things away yet. Picked up some cabinet space as well as bench space so that is going to help things. Guess I am one of those pack rats.

If you recover it, look at the tour blue cloth. It really brightens the table up and helps us old guys see the balls better.

As for your question. I play in a few leagues. The BCA only requires you to call the ball and pocket. So 3 ball corner pocket. Doesn't matter how it gets there, as long as it goes in corner pocket. BCA is governing pool for professional pool

WriteON

Boy what 10 years has done!!!! Just about got the shop cleaned out. Maybe another day or two. Had a family emergency so had to put on back burner for 2 weeks. But got the game room cleaned and got to see the pool table for the first time in at least 10 years. It is at least playable and there are still some short stick shots needed but that is OK. Well decided to play a few games of 8ball and have to say I suck!! Can not believe how bad I got and to add to this I have a bad left shoulder so have a hard time laying out my left arm to steady stick. Can not get down on the shot very well either because of the back. Man just another game I use to be halfway decent at and have to accept who I have become. Don't get old!!!

Anyway for those billiard players here is a question of rules in 8Ball. Had a disagreement with a friend playing so will throw it out there. Makes no difference shooting stripes or solids. but one person is shooting stripes and he makes a ball striking his ball first and it caroms off a solid ball and both balls go in. No matter if the shot was intentional or not does the person now lose his turn or does he get to continue to shoot??? I say he continues and the friend says he loses his turn. He says it is like a scratch. I say it is the same as if the solid ball did not go in. I could look the rules up for I have a rule book somewhere down there but chose to throw it out here. Heck I am just happy to actually see the table again. I think that is a win.:)

Maybe I should stick to playing on this table:)
POOL especially 8 ball. Ask 10 people you'll get 10 different rules. Play BCA rules or predetermine agreeable rules before playing.

WriteON

If you recover it, look at the tour blue cloth. It really brightens the table up and helps us old guys see the balls better.

As for your question. I play in a few leagues. The BCA only requires you to call the ball and pocket. So 3 ball corner pocket. Doesn't matter how it gets there, as long as it goes in corner pocket. BCA is governing pool for professional pool
I started on a Gold Crown in the early 60's. It had a gold cloth. Always enjoyed playing on it..still do. Getting it again when needed.

Attachments

• GoldCrown.jpg
    GoldCrown.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

jttheclockman

I played on many Gold Crowns when I played league many years ago. I guess we will just agree to just call shot then and anything goes. Just get it there. I have the tan house cloth on mine and it does not roll fast. It is not a high nap but it is worn some and uneven in places. Many games had been played on it before it went into hibernation. My table is a Gold West. I use to play at Loree Jon Jones's (now Hasson) place. Jersey girl.

I just can not believe how bad I got and yes the physical part is a factor but the eye needs tuning. :) Do kids even play pool any more?? I remember going to watch matches with some of the big name players shooting it out. Steve Mizerak, Jim Rempe, Nick Varner, Efren Reyes, Mike Sigel and many more.

bsshog40

So I looked in my international rules book. It states " Combination shots are legal at all times except when shooting for the 8 ball".

WriteON

Lately happibe
I played on many Gold Crowns when I played league many years ago. I guess we will just agree to just call shot then and anything goes. Just get it there. I have the tan house cloth on mine and it does not roll fast. It is not a high nap but it is worn some and uneven in places. Many games had been played on it before it went into hibernation. My table is a Gold West. I use to play at Loree Jon Jones's (now Hasson) place. Jersey girl.

I just can not believe how bad I got and yes the physical part is a factor but the eye needs tuning. :) Do kids even play pool any more?? I remember going to watch matches with some of the big name players shooting it out. Steve Mizerak, Jim Rempe, Nick Varner, Efren Reyes, Mike Sigel and many more.
Happiness is an afternoon of 1pocket. I'm starting to play good enough to have fun. Not a money or tournament player. Just play for enjoyment. JT... just play to have fun... the stroke comes back. Easy does it.

jttheclockman

Lately happibe

Happiness is an afternoon of 1pocket. I'm starting to play good enough to have fun. Not a money or tournament player. Just play for enjoyment. JT... just play to have fun... the stroke comes back. Easy does it.

Now that the table is open again I will try to sneak a game or two in. I really want to get back in the shop and start some pens because this summer I have my house to get back to and the exterior all around. I have the contractor(same one who did my windows last year) but need to make decisions on materials and final details.

WriteON

Now that the table is open again I will try to sneak a game or two in. I really want to get back in the shop and start some pens because this summer I have my house to get back to and the exterior all around. I have the contractor(same one who did my windows last year) but need to make decisions on materials and final details.
Good luck with the house....just stay well and have some fun

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
You right on the rules. My pool claim to fame was beating Minnesota Fats 2 times at a trade show. One game I ran the table and as I was about to pocket the 8 ball he said it won't do any good to make it - no one will ever believe you. That was about 45 years ago. Suspect now my game is in the same state of disrepair as yours. Played in Steve Mizerak's pool room. Knew him well.

WriteON

You right on the rules. My pool claim to fame was beating Minnesota Fats 2 times at a trade show. One game I ran the table and as I was about to pocket the 8 ball he said it won't do any good to make it - no one will ever believe you. That was about 45 years ago. Suspect now my game is in the same state of disrepair as yours. Played in Steve Mizerak's pool room. Knew him well.
I at Stanley McDowels room once. He was buddies with Miz. I have a Doc Frye from mid 60's. Doc was Steve's cue maker. Doc was an interesting person. If he made cue for you he'd invite you to see how it's going.

Attachments

• Doc Frye.jpg
    Doc Frye.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 83
  • Doc with his cues edited copy.jpg
    Doc with his cues edited copy.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Doc Frye 2.jpg
    Doc Frye 2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 90
On the game table of 8-ball, never was all that good at it myself... first time I played was in the Navy on Guam... we had 2 or 3 tables in the rec area of the barracks... but none of the sticks had proper tips... I learned play with a dead stick... then they put tips on the sticks and ruined my game.

Top Bottom