Big Bowls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kalai

Kalai

This is a picture of my home made lathe, it can turn bowls up to 4 feet 8 inches, the big platter is Mango wood and is about 34 inches in diameter, the big bowl next to it is Mango too and about the same size in diameter but a lot deeper. Aloha.

Kalai:)

2008214559_big%20lathe%20008.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ahoiberg

holy cow chris, those are impressive. you got the coolest looking shop with those nice flowers outside and open-air... how long has that lathe been kickin'? it looks fun.

Kalai

Andrew, yes my shop is open, I have a dirt floor and roofing for walls on 2 sides , I like it:D, I made this lathe about 15 years ago, it has a 3 hp motor connected to a old jeep transmision so I can change speeds, works great and I even have reverse[8D], I also have a powermatic, 2 rockwells 1 delta 1 jet mini lathe and 1 antique metal lathe I am converting into a ornamental lathe.
Thanks for all the comments so far and aloha.

kalai:)

GBusardo

Nice Chris! What a great set up! As far as the open air shop...well.... if you haven't been to Hawaii, go.... it's realy a paradise

louisbry

Nice homemade lathe and mango turnings. Mango must be fairly stable wood since you have relatively thin walls for a rough turning. I usually leave the thickness approx 10% of diam so I can turn round after all the distortion that occurs during drying.

karlkuehn

Banned
Wow, you must go through a ton of micromesh. hehe

Really nice looking lathe, that's amazing. On the bigger bowls, do you just climb inside while it's turning and run like a hamster while holding out a tool? That's some huge turning! :D

Top Bottom