Best tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dubdrvrkev

Big can of worms here...
I have been very happy with my Henry Taylor tools, specially for the money. I have the 9/16" shallow gouge that I use on spindles and some bowl work, and I also have their 3/8" bowl gouge with a blunt fingernail grind on it. Sorby tools have also served me well, I use 1/2" bowl gouge with traditional grind, and a few other tools from them too.
More important than the brand of tools is the type of steel used for them. I have the HF set that are HSS but they don't hold an edge nearly as long as my tools that are HSS from "Shefield" i.e. Henry Taylor, Sorby, Crown etc.

Rudy Vey

When I started turning I only bought Sorby tools from my Woodcraft store, they are great tools but their prices have gone up quite a bit.
But my favourite spindle gouges are made by Hamlet from the 2060 steel, it holds an edge much longer than the other tools I have, but not 4 times longer as advertised. Some great deals on the Hamlet tools can be had from Jacques Columbe in Montreal, he always has some excellent prices. Crown tools are good, too. For my bowls I use a Crown PM gouge.
I have not tried Henry Taylor tools, but I bought some at the AAW symposium and their prices were very good.

vick

I have used sorby, Henry Taylor, and Crown and liked them all. My last tool was a P&N and it seems to be a great value for the money.

Pipes

Like most I have a LOT a Sorby and my first set a LONG while ago was a Sears craftsman set they are still ok ! I still buy the sorby but only when the sale is on at Woodcraft I think about this time every year ! I gotta check ! [8D]

http://affordablepipes.com/

alamocdc

Whatever you're happy with. I know, it sounds like I'm being a smart butt with the comments that have gone before, but it's what I've experienced. I have a Harbor Freight set that I'm quite happy with, but I prefer the Benjamin's Best bowl gouges I bought from Woodturningz for bowls. P&N is even better and not as expensive as the "more renouned" brands like Sorby, Crown, etc. Yes, more often than not you get what you pay for, and like Kevin says, some will hold an edge longer than others. However, if I can go through two skews or bowl gouges (even if I have to sharpen them more often) for less than it costs for a single Sorby of the same item, I figure I'm money ahead. I really don't mind the extra time for sharpening. Did I mention that I'm cheap?[:D][;)] Again, JMO, and that usually ain't worth much.

penbros

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Whatever you're happy with. I know, it sounds like I'm being a smart butt with the comments that have gone before, but it's what I've experienced. I have a Harbor Freight set that I'm quite happy with, but I prefer the Benjamin's Best bowl gouges I bought from Woodturningz for bowls. P&N is even better and not as expensive as the "more renouned" brands like Sorby, Crown, etc. Yes, more often than not you get what you pay for, and like Kevin says, some will hold an edge longer than others. However, if I can go through two skews or bowl gouges (even if I have to sharpen them more often) for less than it costs for a single Sorby of the same item, I figure I'm money ahead. I really don't mind the extra time for sharpening. Did I mention that I'm cheap?[:D][;)] Again, JMO, and that usually ain't worth much.

I have harbor freight tools and they have come out of the handles so I had to turn my own but the harbor freight tools just dont look as nice on my handles as a polished high speed steel chisel. However, they work. My brother is the one that thinks we need new tools but I gotta admit I get tired of sharpening after every pen and the metal just doesnt look quality. Since I make my own handles I wanted to know where I could get some quality chisels loke sorby and all the other quality chisels mentioned but without handles.

I saw some at midwest woodworkers that were double sided for $115
and i never would have considered it.

dubdrvrkev

Originally posted by penbros
I have harbor freight tools and they have come out of the handles so I had to turn my own but the harbor freight tools just dont look as nice on my handles as a polished high speed steel chisel. However, they work. My brother is the one that thinks we need new tools but I gotta admit I get tired of sharpening after every pen and the metal just doesnt look quality. Since I make my own handles I wanted to know where I could get some quality chisels loke sorby and all the other quality chisels mentioned but without handles.

I saw some at midwest woodworkers that were double sided for $115
and i never would have considered it.

You may want to look into P&N tools a bit more but they aren't shiny, they have a black coating on the steel. They are available through Woodcraft (limited), Lee Valley and I'm sure many more places
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,330&p=49138
They are pretty good price and do not come with handles. Henry Taylor tools are also sold with or w/o handles from CSUSA.

its_virgil

I have two sets of tghe HF tools...the ones that sell for $45 or so and love both sets. I don't find that they need to be sharpened any more than my other tools. Sharpening to some equate to using a grinder and to others it means honing...I don't remember the last time I "sharpened" them on a grinder, but I do hone all of my tools often...sharp tools are a joy to use.

I have two P&N bowl gouges and they are reallyl nice. The also are sold without handles.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Whatever you're happy with. I know, it sounds like I'm being a smart butt with the comments that have gone before, but it's what I've experienced. I have a Harbor Freight set that I'm quite happy with, but I prefer the Benjamin's Best bowl gouges I bought from Woodturningz for bowls. P&N is even better and not as expensive as the "more renouned" brands like Sorby, Crown, etc. Yes, more often than not you get what you pay for, and like Kevin says, some will hold an edge longer than others. However, if I can go through two skews or bowl gouges (even if I have to sharpen them more often) for less than it costs for a single Sorby of the same item, I figure I'm money ahead. I really don't mind the extra time for sharpening. Did I mention that I'm cheap?[:D][;)] Again, JMO, and that usually ain't worth much.

woodwish

Somehow I started off buying a couple of the Hamlet 2060 tools from CSUSA, also bought some Packard ones that are same with a different name stamped on the handle. Have since bought a few Sorby's but really do prefer the Hamlet's. Just a matter of preference.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by penbros
<br />In your opinion what are the best brand of tools for turning pens and other turnings such as bowls and spindles?

In my opinion the best brand of tools are the ones that you have sharpened correctly and have mastered how to use it properly.

A dull tool does not cut well no matter who made it or what it is made of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom