Best Kit Prices?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

klynn

First time posting, so I hope this question is allowed.

I've been asked to make a good number of pens for a local scout troop as a fundraiser.

Does anyone know the least expensive place to get 30 Cal Bolt Action pens?

This what I have so far:
Woodcraft
Gun metal (gm) 13.99
Gold (G) 15.99
Antique Brass (AB). 16.99

Penn State
GM: 14.95
G: 16.95
AB: 16.95

CraftSuppliesUSA
GM: 13.25 (when buying 5-9)
G: 15.15 (when buying 5-9)
AB. 15.15 ( 5-9), 14.67 (10-19)

PackardWoodworks.com
GM: 12.95
G: 14.95
AB: Not available

Woodwhimsies
GM. NA
G. 13.90 (5-24)
AB. N-"A

Penkitmall.com
GM. 14.95
G. 14.95
AB. 15.95

Does anyone know of a less expensive place?
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

I always buy at Exoticblanks.com because you will get the "mix and match" quantity discount…. So if you buy 10 of this and that…. You get the price break for each pen set for the total amount of kits you buy, even if you only buy 5 of the same kits, if you have 50 total kits combined in your order, you get the price for buying 50 of each type. I've never seen anyone else offer that without buying 50 of each type. Plus you can't beat their speedy delivery and customer service, not to mention they are members here and fellow pen makers, not just a business.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Beware: There is the Penn State Bolt action and there is another manufacturer in china that makes a look alike, but the dimensions are not identical and the quality is certainly not identical. Know what you are purchasing, whatever you decide.

Thanks to our friends above for explaining the mix and match discount!!! Yes, we are, usually, one of the most economical choices for a variety purchase!!

Mach4

An alternative to the bolt action pens, or perhaps an additional option, is a straight 30 cal pen. I do these by the dozen as give-always and they are a huge hit. Best of all, they're downright cheap and super easy to make. The Slimline kits are $3 and the once fired 308 shell casings are around $3 a pound at the local scrap dealer. You might even be able to go fine some freebies at the range….

3B461946-F4C9-4934-9CCD-834BEC0F4842.jpeg

The only tricky thing is drilling out the primer and gluing the tube. I've got a really simple way to glue the tube centered I'd be happy to share if you decide to go this route. Load them up on the pen mandrel - a minute with green scotchbrite and a minute with Mothers and you're ready to press them together.

I thought there was a tutorial on this site, unfortunately I couldn't find it, but there is a YouTube video that might be helpful.

Just a thought…..

J_B

Ed4copies,
Are you exoticblanks?
Kevin, I have been doing business with Exotic Blanks for years. Be rest assured Dawn an Ed are great to do business with and not ever have I had an issue with any of my orders. They have customer service down to a science. Good luck with your order.

klynn

Kevin, I have been doing business with Exotic Blanks for years. Be rest assured Dawn an Ed are great to do business with and not ever have I had an issue with any of my orders. They have customer service down to a science. Good luck with your order.
Checking out your site now.

egnald

Kevin,

I just sent a PM to get your address. I have a batch of 10 Cocobolo and 10 Cocobolo with Sapwood blanks all boxed up and ready to send to you as soon as I get your address. It is really nice of you to do this for the benefit the scout troop.

Best Regards,
Dave

klynn

Always willing to help the Scouts whenever I can.

My wife, son and I attended a Court of Honor for a friends son on Saturday. It was the first time I got to see the leaders. After multiple conversations, I think I'm going to return and take a more active role in the troop.

Thank you for the blanks.
Kevin

egnald

I followed my two sons up through Cub Scouts and through Boy Scouts. The experience not only helped build my own character, but it also made me realize how important following the 12 points of the Scout Law can be for building character in youth, especially for those that have less parental engagement. It still makes me smile whenever I meet one of the young adults now in their mid 20's and they extend their hand and cheerfully greet me as Mr. Lange.

Best Regards,
Dave

Top Bottom