Bent wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dozuki

dozuki

I purchased a little metal lathe several months ago and it really was to small for a good pen set up but was great for some of the detail turning on rings.

Attachments

• F7D79B83-E4FA-4255-B7CC-0F4DF34984AF.jpeg
    F7D79B83-E4FA-4255-B7CC-0F4DF34984AF.jpeg
    281.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 7E7EE971-E8EE-454C-B8DA-57FA171DAD5C.jpeg
    7E7EE971-E8EE-454C-B8DA-57FA171DAD5C.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 5B563191-6F1D-479B-97A1-3715D1DD55BB.jpeg
    5B563191-6F1D-479B-97A1-3715D1DD55BB.jpeg
    282.6 KB · Views: 121
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bats

I purchased a little metal lathe several months ago and it really was to small for a good pen set up
Please don't say that. I've got a tiny (like, probably-small-enough-to-fit-between-centers-on-my-midi tiny) little Taig micro lathe that's about to become my primary pen lathe - and probably my only machine tool, without driving an hour to my main shop.

but was great for some of the detail turning on rings.
The rings are gorgeous. Am I right in assuming you made the bent wood form, glued stone chips to it, sealed them in with CA (or resin?), and then machined everything flat?

dozuki

Please don't say that. I've got a tiny (like, probably-small-enough-to-fit-between-centers-on-my-midi tiny) little Taig micro lathe that's about to become my primary pen lathe - and probably my only machine tool, without driving an hour to my main shop.

The rings are gorgeous. Am I right in assuming you made the bent wood form, glued stone chips to it, sealed them in with CA (or resin?), and then machined everything flat?
That is it. I did all the bending and then put it on the lathe to get it to the thickness I wanted and to shape it a bit. Also great for cutting channels for the inlay.

dozuki

Now when I say it is to small for a good pen set up I mean that it is more challenging. I got the pricing lathe and it fits in my tool chest. Just have to be a little more creative is all. I plan on using it to make ground up fountain pens when I get a chance to experiment. Just might not be able to put it all on there at once.

Bats

I got the pricing lathe and it fits in my tool chest.
Pricing lathe? Not familiar with that one... but it sounds like it might be even smaller than my Taig (which could almost fit in a toolbox, if not for the motor, DIY CNCing, and the stand that holds it all together)

I plan on using it to make ground up fountain pens when I get a chance to experiment. Just might not be able to put it all on there at once.
Yeah, based on trying to mentally work my way through the process (I don't have the lathe set up somewhere I can easily experiment right now) that's the problem with the Taig - the bed just isn't long enough. Although right now I think the only problem is going to be drilling - it looks like it'll just barely work for slimlines, but a kitless pen body + chucks + drill bit is probably just going to be too much.

dozuki

Pricing lathe? Not familiar with that one... but it sounds like it might be even smaller than my Taig (which could almost fit in a toolbox, if not for the motor, DIY CNCing, and the stand that holds it all together)

Yeah, based on trying to mentally work my way through the process (I don't have the lathe set up somewhere I can easily experiment right now) that's the problem with the Taig - the bed just isn't long enough. Although right now I think the only problem is going to be drilling - it looks like it'll just barely work for slimlines, but a kitless pen body + chucks + drill bit is probably just going to be too much.
Darn. Supposed to say proxxon

Top Bottom