bent headstock?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

fshenkin94

I have been having a problem with a wobble when turning pens, bottlestoppers etc. This afternoon I noticed that the wheel on the outside of the headstock seems to have a wobble. I took it off, cleaned it and replaced it but that didn't help. Anyone have any suggestions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bonefish

You said, wheel. Do you mean chuck or face plate, or pulley and/or collets? And I am not sure what you mean by outside. On the side of the headstock where you fasten the material to be turned, or on the other end?

If it is a pully, then it is probably loose. Depending on the age of the lathe and how much it has been used, the bearings could be worn out. Or bushings, if it has those.

Also, do you turn between centers? Do you put a lot of pressure on the turning tool when you work? If you do, you might want to check the wobble of the chuck, collet, faceplate or whatever you use. If there is no wobble, then you have at least eliminated that part.

None of these suggestions might be the cause, but it is a place to start.

Hope this helps.

Bonefish

fshenkin94

The piece that is wobbling is on the outside of the lathe. I usually turn pens and bottlestoppers. When turning antler and acrylic it does take a little extra pressure to cut. I haven't used a faceplate or collet yet.

martyb

What model lathe do you have?

I've got a PSI Turncrafter pro. And the handwheel on the outside of the headstock (which I believe is what you're talking about) wobbles slightly as well. Taken it off, cleaned everything, put it back, tightened it down, still wobbles slightly.

Also, are you using a morse taper mandrel for pens and chuck for the bottle stoppers? I also found that the MT was amplifying the apparent wobble. Switched to the Beall collet and now the mandrels spin dead straight and stead.

fshenkin94

I have a jet mini. I do use the mt mandrel for pens. I am getting a wobble on it mostly toward the center. The outer edges of the mandrel seem to be turning true. How does the collet work? Not familiar with them.

jwoodwright

Fred, on the Jet Mini, the handwheel is also used as a shaft lock. You tighten it just enough that the shaft freely turns, without side-side play in the shaft. There are two setscrews you tighten on the handwheel.

If the handwheel is too tight, you get noise and heat and difficulity turning the shaft.

Too loose, side play and other fun.

The handwheel is not meant to be used as a hand Brake... Trying to slow the speed down will eventually cause it to tighten, due to Left hand Threads...[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom