Behlens Revisited

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I can't speak for the Renaissance Wax, but I strongly suggest waiting 24 hours before using TSW. Friction finishes are surface dry almost immediately, but the curing process typically takes days.

Tim

This is a question similar to one I have. How long do you let a pen "rest" before assembling? And do you wait between, say, Hut wax and crystal coat?

Tim

Tim

This is a question similar to one I have. How long do you let a pen "rest" before assembling? And do you wait between, say, Hut wax and crystal coat?

Tim

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Bryan--I think POC still has the original formula. The new formula will ship with their next order.

Tim--I prefer to wait 2-3 days after the final application of top coat before assembly. Most finishes take at least that long to truly cure. I can't answer your other question from experience, but I would think an overnight wait would be beneficial.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Tim
<br />This is a question similar to one I have. How long do you let a pen "rest" before assembling? And do you wait between, say, Hut wax and crystal coat?

Tim

My old method to finish pens (pre TSW) was to use crystal coat over hut wax. I did not wait at all. The wax really has no solvents that I know of and I don't believe there are any drawbacks to this process. Now if you were going to do hut over crystal coat I would recommend at least 24 hours for the crystal coat to cure.

I have waited on the hut overnight and I have applied the crystal coat immediately and have seen no difference in the quality or durability of the finish. This is my experience, others may differ. Experiment with a few sets of blanks and see which way works best for you.

Klars

Waiting to assemble is like having a hot pie right out of the oven. Some times I just can't wait to have a piece but if you let it cool a little bit it is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom