Beginning blind pen turner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pheidhues

Hello
My name is Paul. I recently got interested in pen turning because I ended up with a block of pen blanks. And I got a lathe for Christmas. Apparently, I need all the other tools, like a pen mandrel, drill bits and chucks.
I see it is easier to drill the blnaks on the lathe.
I am looking for advice on the tools to use. I have found ROckler and Pen State Industries.
My other question, I am legally blind. I am no stranger to a wood or machine shop having worked on cars, marine sized Diesels, etc. What I am new to is using a Lathe. Any advice?
I have used a wide variety of power tools in my time.
My wife bought me a Vevor for Christmas without me asking. I had been looking at Wen.
So I have to go with what I got for now.
It is the PS 500/1000, 4 speed. You change it by changing the belt.
I look forward to talking to other pen turners here.
Oh and I got three Chisels with it, a skew, a roughing gouge and a straight Chisel.
Paul

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

Welcome to the forum, Paul.
It is good that you are already familiar with power tools so you're aware of the dangers of fast spinning parts.
The safety precautions are the same for you as for us.....
Guard your eyes......your lungs.......your body.
Get the best protective equipment that you can, and wear it always.
Practice turning using some of the blanks that you have, practice finishing.
You can buy a few tubes and get used to drilling accurately without the expense of buying a lot of kits.
You can always turn off a blank that you are not happy with and start again.

Ask plenty....The folks here are only too happy to help.
Enjoy your new hobby.

Alan

d_bondi

Welcome from Utah!

Don't worry about which lathe you start with. Many of us start with something entry level and then upgrade later if we decide we need to. I started only 2 1/2 years ago on a Harbor Freight Mini Wood Lathe.

+1 on Alan's comments around safety safety safety and some basic skills. I remember chucking up pieces of wood just to get a feel for the tools and the different woods.

After Safety, the Most important thing is ..... HAVE FUN!!

TDahl

Welcome from California. I recommend checking out the Turncrafter Commander from PSI.

sbwertz

Welcome. I have been working with blind turners since 2014. I started the woodturning project at the Arizona Center for the Blind and Visually impaired. A few questions. I'll send you a PM.

Top Bottom