Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
The Smitty's Pen Works Beginner Beautiful Pen Contest winners are:

Finalist Entry #2 by
Spiderman $125 USD email gift certificate to CSUSA

Finalist Entry #3 by RbD $75 USD email gift certificate to Berea Hardwoods

Finalist Entry #7 by lyonsacc $50 USD email gift certificate to Smitty's Pen Works

Congrats to all the finalists and a special thanks to Smitty for sponsoring the event.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jlf2013

Congrats to the winners! They are all beautiful pieces that show a lot of promise for the future for each of you.
Even though my entry didn't win I feel every bit a winner just being in the top ten after only 4 months of turning experience (and ruining more than 1 piece of wood).
This contest has really boosted my confidence in my abilities and I think I will be spending a lot more time at the lathe now trying to perfect my skills. (I see I have a lot to learn)

RichF

Congrats to the winners, and to everyone who entered. I look forward to seeing great pens from all of you in the future.

lyonsacc

Thanks to Smitty :bananen_smilies039:for sponsoring this contest, to Landon :bananen_smilies039:for hosting, and for the prize providers:bananen_smilies039:! I learned a lot making this thing - it took about 6 weeks from start to finish. This was my first successful segmented pen – although there are plenty of flaws. My first try at segmenting was for the PITH – made 6 blanks, none of which survived to become a pen:crying:. Thought this contest would be a good reason to try it again. This pen will be going to my Dad:cowboy:.

Let me also give some thanks :highfive:to where it is due: I learned a lot from Rich Klienhenz's and Don Ward's books that went into this pen.

There have been some posts questioning the segmented pens in the beginners contest. I can't speak for the others, but I do "qualify" as a beginner per the contest rules. I bought my first and only lathe on 7/28/12 at the local Rockler after my daughter had expressed interest in starting a pen turning business (she had made one at the local Woodcraft for Grandpa the previous Christmas). This is my 22nd pen – I'm an accountant and keep a detailed spreadsheet of my expenses and the pens I make. Woodworking has been a hobby of mine since I was a kid, usually doing one project a year (2011 was a chicken coop, 2010 was a stand for a birdcage made from a log, 2009 was a pirate themed bunk bed for the boys). But I have never done things this small or on a lathe before.

Thanks again for everyone's efforts in the BASH!

Dave Lyons

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thanks to Smitty :bananen_smilies039:for sponsoring this contest, to Landon :bananen_smilies039:for hosting, and for the prize providers:bananen_smilies039:! I learned a lot making this thing - it took about 6 weeks from start to finish. This was my first successful segmented pen – although there are plenty of flaws. My first try at segmenting was for the PITH – made 6 blanks, none of which survived to become a pen:crying:. Thought this contest would be a good reason to try it again. This pen will be going to my Dad:cowboy:.

Let me also give some thanks :highfive:to where it is due: I learned a lot from Rich Klienhenz's and Don Ward's books that went into this pen.

There have been some posts questioning the segmented pens in the beginners contest. I can't speak for the others, but I do "qualify" as a beginner per the contest rules. I bought my first and only lathe on 7/28/12 at the local Rockler after my daughter had expressed interest in starting a pen turning business (she had made one at the local Woodcraft for Grandpa the previous Christmas). This is my 22nd pen – I'm an accountant and keep a detailed spreadsheet of my expenses and the pens I make. Woodworking has been a hobby of mine since I was a kid, usually doing one project a year (2011 was a chicken coop, 2010 was a stand for a birdcage made from a log, 2009 was a pirate themed bunk bed for the boys). But I have never done things this small or on a lathe before.

Thanks again for everyone's efforts in the BASH!

Dave Lyons
Just to be clear, the prizes were all provided by Smitty's Pen Works....I just sent a couple of competitors a little business.:)

Spiderman

I would like to thank Smitty for sponsoring this event and for his wonderful words of encouragement to all of us that entered. There should also be a big round of applause to Landon for all his time and effort that went into hosting and organizing this event.

This was my first Bash and my first competition and I can't believe how much fun I have had and how much I have learned over the course of the past few weeks. A special shout out to both David Washburn (djwood1) and Tim Wise (wiset1) for the great tutorials on segmenting and scallops.

I have also seen the posts regarding segmented pens being in the Beginners Class and truthfully I would not classify myself as anything other than a Beginner. I received my first lathe as a Christmas gift this past December and my Bash pen was only the 7th pen I had ever made. Hours were spent hanging out in the Library, reading, watching, studying and then reading it all again. It took me a week to make the first blank and 10 minutes for it to blow up in my face. By the 5th try, I was getting pretty good at making the blanks and equally as good at destroying them. Back to the Library and back to trolling through the forums. The whole point of the competition, as I saw it, was to learn new skills and to venture far outside your personal comfort zone. I think I did that and I think all of my fellow Beginners did that as well. My hearty congratulations to the IAP Beginners Class of 2013!

Now, when do they post the rules for the 2014 Bash?

Regards
Mike Patterson

DigBaddy72

Congrats to the winners! They are all beautiful pieces that show a lot of promise for the future for each of you.
Even though my entry didn't win I feel every bit a winner just being in the top ten after only 4 months of turning experience (and ruining more than 1 piece of wood).
This contest has really boosted my confidence in my abilities and I think I will be spending a lot more time at the lathe now trying to perfect my skills. (I see I have a lot to learn)

I agree with James! I too was fortunate to make the top 10 after only 2 months of turning and 6 months of woodworking in general!

Congrats to all the winners! Thanks IAP for holding this fun contest!

Brh

I'd like to congratulate the winners of this contest. Actually, I'd like to congratulate all the participants in this contest. There is some stunning work here. I would also like to thank the sponsors, judges, membership at large for making it possible. This contest motivated me to take a closer look at my own work and correct or modify technique/methods and up my own ante. While I can turn a decent pen as a beginner, I am just that: a beginner. I know that there is ALWAYS room for improvement. The adage comes to mind that if you can say, "its good enough", it most assuredly isn't. So thanks to the membership for all the knowledge reposited here. It is with your help that I am becomming a better pen turner.

Regards,
Brian

Top Bottom