BB pen's # 3-5 plus tips...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from YoYoSpin

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoYoSpin

Got in a package of goodies today from POC, and here's the first three new bowling balls that fell off my lathe:
BBpen3a.jpg

Someone had mentioned earlier that a vacuum might help with those pesky ribbons of material that tend to wrap around everything and have to be removed frequently...here's the setup I tried today:
1.jpg

...and it worked pretty well, sucking up about 80-90% of the ribbon shavings. However, these little plastic ribbons do get hung-up in the vacuum's impellers and have to be cleaned out after every pen-turning:
2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Well at least they are out of the way of the work... I was wondering how the vacume would handle them. I had visions of duct work suitable for rats to nest in[:)]

ilikewood

Hi Ed,

Do you have an extra 55 gallon plasic drum you can get? I use one on my vacuum system where I bring in my duct about 2/3 the way down into the side of the barrel. On the inside, I put a 90 elbow on and turn it sideways to create a vortex. I then put a hole into the top and take that to the dust collector. This stops 95% of all solids and I rarely ever clean my fan or bags. Make sure you do this with a plastic or metal drum with a removable top so you can empty it when it reaches the elbow. This system works absolutely fantastic for me and was very cheap to make.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Bill, you don't have to go that far down the barrell... you can actually be almost at the top.. just point the elbow down at about a 15 angle so that the solids are propelled toward the bottom. That way you don't have to empty the barrell as often... I found this system worked a lot better than the adapter top they sell..

ilikewood

I agree with being able to stick the intake near the top. Of course with my shop and the fact I have a flight of stairs I have to carry the full drum up, I do think someone has exposed me to Kryptonite already. [:)]

2/3 is plenty for me. I also don't use any adapter top because I made my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom