Wanted Baton rods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cmiles1985

I've only made one baton for my former orchestra teacher. I used an oak dowel that I turned down to shape/size. Honestly, I got it on the lathe, then just used 80 grit sandpaper to get it where I wanted. Something that long and that small in diameter is tricky.

Drewby108

Birch dowel works pretty well here. Light and bright. I am making a couple for my cousin tomorrow/Monday for his graduation gift in May.

Also, wood can be seen as a better choice since tapping fiberglass causes splinters and is not fun to deal with. Wood will warp and potentially break, sure, but I'd take that over fiberglass in my hands. Carbon fiber is also an option. The drawback there is that it's the heaviest of the three (not good when weight is measured less than 20 grams) and any paint used to color it will eventually chip off.

Last edited:

Curly

jttheclockman

Not sure if this is relevant but talking fiberglass rods, you can go to Home Depot or Lowes and get their property marker rods that come in various lengths and colors. I happen to use them in my casting arena. here is a photo of them in use. Have to warn you though, fiberglass is nothing to take lightly using and fracturing. Those splinters will cut you to pieces. I know when I clean my casting rods I have to be careful not to trim them to the point they have shards on them. When I use for casting I always coat them with a wax before use so my tubes slide off easier. The bond from the resin breaks off easier too. I would avoid fiberglass for something that can get banged up and splintered. Just my opinion.

Now with that said I would opt for acrylic rods and you can get them in a ton of colors and both opaque and transparent and with fancy glitter in them. Any acrylic vendor should carry them. There is a vendor list in library with all kinds of materials we use. Or at least I think it made the library. I know it was being worked on.https://www.amazon.com/Different-Di...49-b176-14f98947aaa2&pd_rd_i=B07J4BZ1QY&psc=1 Plus you can turn them down to a shape you want.

IMGP0074.JPG

dogcatcher

About 30 years ago I made some for a music professor. I just turned handles and used maple dowels. I drilled blanks that were about 1" square, turned, and glued in a piece of dowel.

Top Bottom