Bash Timing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

I sure wish the Bash was in September when I could better use the vendor discounts. February is too soon after Christmas and its costs and not when I need kits for fall shows. :rolleyes:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

Yea, it's also the one month a year here in New England when most of the days are too cold in my un-heated shop to do much work... I need to plan ahead next year and have my pens already made during the warmer months...

Jeff really was inconsiderate when he started this whole thing....:biggrin: or maybe he was bribed by some of our Florida Members to have it during the cold months to put us northerners at a disadvantage!!!!:biggrin:

brownsfn2

Although I do have more funds available at the start of the year after good Holiday sales. Maybe Jeff is smarter than we think. :)

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Changing the Bash Month has been discussed before, not in depth, but it has been discussed. There is always a reason NOT to have the Bash during any given month. I'll put it down on my list of Bash topics to discuss. Odds are it will not change but nothing is completely off of the table.

Question for all:
What month would be good for you?

Last edited:

Haynie

As you say there is never a "good" month. The late winter months are dreary and depressing and the bash is a fun distraction. I am all for keeping it in February. Every year I plan to make something and every year something comes up.

I will just have to plan ahead for next year.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Regardless of the month chosen it is going to be bad for some folks. Some say January, February and March are too soon after Christmas and they're still broke

If we moved it to October, November or December it would be too soon before Christmas and anything we spend will get us accused of buying ourselves "Christmas Presents".

If we aim at August or September - it's back to school expenses leave us broke - particularily if the "school" happens to be college.

Memorial Day to Labor Day is the Vacation, Summer Craft Show mow the lawn every few days, trim the hedges etc. season and April and May, around here are heavy in outdoor work on gardens, trees, schrubs early flower planting etc.

It short whatever month is chosen is going to be "not the best" time for some of us.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
From a vendor point of view--from September to January, things are operating about as fast as we can go.

I sure wouldn't have time to spend several hours a day on IAP.

FWIW

Pitoon

I still say the end of the fiscal year.....it's the opener for the holidays. If we can get "stuff" reasonably priced before the holidays it would help on the profits.

Pitoon

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I think fiscal years vary from institution to institution. I don't believe that there is a universal definition of when a Fiscal year begins or ends.

Bob Wemm

Me, Myself and I think that it should stay the same as now. February is a crappy, hot as hell month and the BASH is a good excuse to sit inside all day in the Airconditioning.
It's too hot to do anything else.
JMHO.

Bob.

Gofer

Me, Myself and I think that it should stay the same as now. February is a crappy, hot as hell month and the BASH is a good excuse to sit inside all day in the Airconditioning.
JMHO.

Bob.

We have the opposite problem here Bob, started out at -16 today and will barely warm up at all today as it starts to slide all the way to -34 by saturday morning. When is spring going to come???

Bruce

Every year I start planning for for what bash contests I'm going to enter in August. However I don't start to put those plans into action until the first week of March. :redface: Might have to work on my timing.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
It used to begin Jan 1st - meaning that I had to do final vendor contacts and prize arrangements during Christmas Break - which was tough, as most took extended holidays...I still do, but I just have been getting a few extra months. Since the Bash is much bigger than in the past, the more time the better!

We pushed it back to February a few years ago, and it's been much better for logistics...Christmas break was difficult for logistics...

It's still roughly around the time the site went public...hence Anniversary.

I find that the IAP is less busy in the summer as well - or perhaps that's because we Norse can finally leave our snow caves and enjoy the outdoors in the summer.

Last edited:

stonepecker

Feb. would get my vote.
It is the shorest month. Weather outside keeps me inside. Middle of my seasonal layoff and allows me the freedom to be here every day.

However, I would work with whatever happens to keep the most happy.

firewhatfire

Every month is good for me. I just try to save money all year to get ready.

Changing the Bash Month has been discussed before, not in depth, but it has been discussed. There is always a reason NOT to have the Bash during any given month. I'll put it down on my list of Bash topics to discuss. Odds are it will not change but nothing is completely off of the table.

Question for all:
What month would be good for you?

toddlajoie

JMHO.

Bob.

You can just box up any of that extra heat you've got and send it over, It was 4 deg (F) in my car driving to work this morning...

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I still say the end of the fiscal year.....it's the opener for the holidays. If we can get "stuff" reasonably priced before the holidays it would help on the profits.

Pitoon
Whose fiscal year? The fiscal year can be established using any date abody wants, as long as they keep it the same year after year. Many use the 1st of October but don't have to. Also, the vendors selling "stuff" as you say "reasonably priced" before the holidays would be lowering their profits even more than they do now, which is a lot. Most vendors probably don't do any better than breaking even in February with some of us doing a lot more work.

SteveJ

I vote for March - it gives me three more days to stay on the loser train....(plus is would be warmer in my garage).

But it's not like I would stop participating if we kept it in February :)

Steve

Bob Wemm

JMHO.

Bob.

We have the opposite problem here Bob, started out at -16 today and will barely warm up at all today as it starts to slide all the way to -34 by saturday morning. When is spring going to come???

Bruce

Hey Bruce,
Right now I reckon I would enjoy being cold. But that probably would not last long.

Bob.:biggrin:

edstreet

Why Sept? It would seem illogical for that month as most are gearing up for the holiday season sales, you have artist gearing up to send products to vendors to push out the door and it's perhaps the busiest time of the year.

Now if you were to spread it around thru out the year with few things here few things there that might be viable.

Top Bottom