Bash 11 Rules Review - Universal Bash Guidelines

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Eligibility

1. "To participate in this or any other IAP activity your public profile must contain your real first and last name.
Please be advised that information contained in the public profile is not viewable by non-members of the IAP.

2. Members who have failed to successfully complete any previous IAP activities, and who have been notified by the Activities Manager of such, are not eligible to participate in any IAP activities."

Pen Contests

1. Any pen entered into a BASH contest may not have been shown publically prior to the beginning of the contest.

2. Any pen entered in a BASH contest may not be shown publically, except on the IAP for voting or other legitimate purpose related to the contest, prior to the conclusion of the contest.

3. Contest pens must be completed solely by the member entering the pen in the contest unless the contest rules specifically state that the creation of the pen may or must be a joint effort between two or more members.

4. Blanks need not be made by the person entering the contest unless the contest rules specify that the blank must be made solely by the person entering the contest.

5. Components need not be made by the person entering the contest unless the contest rules specify that the components must be made by the person entering the contest.

6. Entrants may enlist the assistance of a mentor to demonstrate proper techniques such as tool usage and safety. All demonstrations of said techniques will be done on a separate blank or other piece of material. The work done on the pen being entered by the member is to be done by the member

Photo Guidelines

1. Photos will be submitted in the JPEG or JPG format.

2. With the exception of the photo contests, photos of the pen to be entered do not have to be taken by the person entering the pen.

Entries

1. Entry into each BASH contest will be submitted through the link provided within each Contest's Rules.

2. Entry into BASH contests not requiring an entry form "Trivia, Wood ID, Puzzles, Match the Shop, etc." will be done via an email and will include the entrants IAP screen name, real first and last name, mailing address and email address.

Voting

1. Voting will be done via polls of the membership.

2. When possible, vote tallies will be kept hidden until the poll closes.

3. Members will be allowed to vote for as many of the entries as they wish in each poll.

4. All polls will be open for no more than 72 hours.

5. In contests with 1 – 10 entries a single poll will be conducted to determine 1st, 2nd, 3rd and if necessary, 4th place winners.

6. In contests with 11 – 20 entries two polls will be conducted. The ten entries with the most amount of votes in the first poll will compete in the second poll to determine 1st, 2nd, 3rd and if necessary 4th place winners. In the event of a tie in the top ten positions in the first poll all pens up to the 10th most number of votes will be included in the second poll.

7. In contests with over 20 entries additional polls will be conducted as necessary to determine the final poll of 10 entries.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Pen shown publically??

Publically meaning displaying to my general public audience? What if I show to my friends or the public at a craft show or the like?

Might need clarification!

mbroberg

Mack,

The intent of this rule is to encourage members to make pens for the contests, not just grab one that they have had around for awhile that may have been shown on this or other websites. To try and define to whom, or where, a contest pen can be shown prior to its entry into a contest would lead to more confusion than clarity. There are just too many variables. So the rule is that it may not have been shown anywhere. If someone posted a contest pen on a website somewhere prior to the contest there is a chance that someone on the IAP may have seen it and will report it to us. If that happens and we are able to confirm that the pen was shown publicly prior to the contest it will be disqualified. If you make and show a pen to friends or family members, or at a craft show, or your "general public audience" and we are able to confirm that, the pen will be disqualified. Now the reality is, if you show it to family members or friends we will probably never know about it. If it has been posted on a web site there is a greater chance that we will be told about it and be able to verify it. So let your conscience and common sense be your guide. Entering a pen that you have shown to your friends and neighbors will PROBABLY NOT get disqualified because the simple truth is we will not know about it or be able to prove it. Entering a pen that has been shown to a wide audience via any website PROBABLY WILL get you disqualified because there is a greater chance we will find out and will be able to prove it.

Pen shown publically??

Publicly meaning displaying to my general public audience? What if I show to my friends or the public at a craft show or the like?

I would have it that it means You haven't posted elsewhere the photo of the pen on any forum or social media or on a selling website.
At least that is how I interpret that.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Pen shown publically??

Publicly meaning displaying to my general public audience? What if I show to my friends or the public at a craft show or the like?

I would have it that it means You haven't posted elsewhere the photo of the pen on any forum or social media or on a selling website.
At least that is how I interpret that.
Yes, I think Mike explained that quite clearly in his post!

SDB777

Should we state photo size limits in Photo Guidelines?

Certainly wouldn't want to try to submit a 800x470 and be competing against a 3675x2450.....what is the maximum size, and does it need to be loaded directly into IAP, or can it be hosted at ??

Scott (little things) B

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Each contest will have an email or link that all photos entered into the contest will have to be submitted through. That will eliminate the offsite hosting.

mbroberg

No "Featured Photo" this year?

Scott,

The planners discussed the Featured Pen Contest and decided to do away with it because unlike other contests entries in the Featured Photo Contest are not truly entered. The photos are selected for the front page by Jeff. Jeff uses a set of criteria that focuses on the photo as much as it does the pen. The pen maker is credited for the creation but the pen maker is not considered when making the selection. This type of arrangement can lead to one person with multiple entries and can also lead to accusations of favoritism in the selection process. I have fielded complaints of this nature in the past.

A contest that selects a "Pen of the Year" (or other title) is not out of the question. The participants should be nominated by the membership, not selected by a single member of management. We will not be having such a contest during this years Bash but it can be considered for future Bashes or at some other time of the year, like in January as a prelude to the Bash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom