Bash 11 Rules Review - Kit Pen Contest Rules

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cmiles1985

Welcome to a new contest within the IAP Birthday BASH celebration. This contest is geared towards all IAP members, and is limited to a tube size and turned material.

The purpose of this contest is to somewhat level the playing field so that both beginning and advanced turners can compete within the same space.

In addition to the Universal Bash Guidelines, the contest rules are as follows:

1. ONLY kits using (edited out) tubes, and ONLY (edited out) may be used to craft your entry.

2. No laser work or cnc produced pens or parts are allowed.

3. The kit must be commercially available at the time of the BASH. No modifications are to be made to the kit.

4. A short description of the pen needs to be submitted with the pen.

5. The pen may not have been posted anywhere before the February 15th deadline.

6. Up to three pictures of the pen may be submitted. There will be an entry form to submit your pen.

7. The contest will start on February First and entries will be due no later than Sunday the 15th at 11:59pm EST. Entry Forms will be available at the start of the bash. Pictures will be posted and a poll or polls will be taken to determine the winning 3 pens. Depending on the amount of submissions we may need to have more than 1 poll to select the winning pens.

Submissions:
8. All entries are due 11:59pm EST. Sunday February 15th
You must use the entry form that will be provided to submit your pen.
YOU MUST SUBMIT THE PEN UNDER YOUR USER NAME.

9. The first poll(s) will be posted on Feb. 18th, and voting will end on Feb. 21st. The final polls, if needed, will be posted and the voting results will become public at that time.

10. All entries will be posted at the same time following the contest's deadline. This will give all entries the same time "in the spotlight".

1st place ---TBA
2nd place---TBA
3rd place---TBA

Rules are subject to change for clarification or safety.

New Rules

The purpose of this contest is to somewhat level the playing field so that both beginning and advanced turners can compete within the same space.

In addition to the Universal Bash Guidelines, the contest rules are as follows:

1. ONLY kits using 3/8" tubes, and ONLY natural material (e.g. wood, antler, etc.) may be used to craft your entry.

2. No laser work or cnc produced pens or parts are allowed.

3. The kit must be commercially available at the time of the BASH. No modifications are to be made to the kit.

4. A short description of the pen needs to be submitted with the pen.

5. The pen may not have been posted anywhere before the February 15th deadline.

6. Up to three pictures of the pen may be submitted. There will be an entry form to submit your pen.

7. The contest will start on February First and entries will be due no later than Sunday the 15th at 11:59pm EST. Entry Forms will be available at the start of the bash. Pictures will be posted and a poll or polls will be taken to determine the winning 3 pens. Depending on the amount of submissions we may need to have more than 1 poll to select the winning pens.

Submissions:
8. All entries are due 11:59pm EST. Sunday February 15th
You must use the entry form that will be provided to submit your pen.
YOU MUST SUBMIT THE PEN UNDER YOUR USER NAME.

9. The first poll(s) will be posted on Feb. 18th, and voting will end on Feb. 21st. The final polls, if needed, will be posted and the voting results will become public at that time.

10. All entries will be posted at the same time following the contest's deadline. This will give all entries the same time "in the spotlight".

1st place ---TBA
2nd place---TBA
3rd place---TBA

Rules are subject to change for clarification or safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

Can you please clarify #1? Based on a reply to a PM it sounds like you are only allowing kits with specific sized tubes which doesn't make sense to me.

Cmiles1985

So, instead of leaving it to a specific kit (say Patriot, for example), I'll say any kit containing a 3/8" tube. That way anybody with a kit on hand that uses a 3/8" tube can participate, be it a bolt action, a LeRoi V2 or Elegant Royale, etc. The example asked via PM was a Nevus BP as it has different tube sizes, and is marketed more as an advanced pen. Should the selection be "any kit containing an 8 mm tube," that would be fine. I won't use any off the wall sizes like 33/64" or "W" for this competition. I ran a poll a while back just to see what most people had on hand. Of course, that would be your typical stuff: 7 mm, 8 mm, 10 mm, 3/8" and 27/64". HINT: It will be one of those sizes.

I will edit these for clarification when I'm on my laptop (where I have the file saved). Also, the second "edited out" portion will relate to barrel material. The purpose of this contest is to really level out the playing field to turner's abilities as opposed to the "I bought a better blank/kit than you did" type of deal.

Brian G

I can be dense, sometimes. For clarity of #1, if a kit has an upper barrel that uses a 3/8" tube, and a lower barrel that uses a 7 mm tube, it can be used in the contest?

Thank you.

Cmiles1985

Brian, that is perfectly acceptable. So long as it's a commercially available kit, and 3/8" is the size of one of the tubes.

Segmenting is fine, so long as all the materials are naturally occurring. I'd rather keep the barrels as simple as possible since this contest is more geared towards fit and finish rather than materials selection.

Thanks for the questions folks!

Top Bottom