Barracuda csc3000c vs csc3500se chuck.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Weaselrunner

I'm down to these 2 chucks. Both come with multiple jaw sets. Anybody have any hands on experience with either or both ?. Can anyone recommend 1 over the other? Not really interested in nova before anyone starts recommending them.
Thx

leehljp

Member Liaison
They are basically the same IMO. The 3000c is geared more to bowls but can do pens well. I have that one. The 3500se would be more specifically geared towards spindles and pen blanks.

Others can give you more detail and maybe even straighten out some things that I may have mixed up.

monophoto

Agree with Hank - I think the chucks themselves are identical. The difference is in the accessory jaws. Both sets include the #1 and2 jaw sets. The c kit includes pin jaws and the larger #3 jaw set (for larger bowls), while the se kit includes pen jaws.

I have the Baraccuda chuck (with tommy bars). In my opinion, the most useful jaw sets are the longer 'alligator' jaws that aren't included in any of the sets. But my choice between the C and SE sets would be the C set - I don't see any particular need for pen jaws. They are intended for holding pen blanks with square or rectangular cross sections for drilling. I prefer to turn blanks to round and cut a tenon that I can then grip in standard jaws. Just the way I work - your mileage my differ.

Top Bottom