Bar Clamps Needed...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

opfoto

Hello Everyone....
I want to buy a couple of 18" to 24" Bar Clamps so that I can glue up my own Peppermill blanks to 3in square. I am not all that familiar with clamps in general. I plan on getting a few different sizes further down the road but for now just looking to get started. I heard the ones thru HF are junk. In trying to keep the budget in good shape....what is a good quality bar clamp that will give me the clamping power I need but yet not break the bank or my head. TIA Marc

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcollazo

I'm partial to the Jorgenson heavy-duty clamps. Amazon has the 24" model for $12.95. Free shipping if the order is over $25, and an additional $10 off if the order is $75 in hand tools or accessories. Here's the link:
http://tinyurl.com/ot56m

Joe

vick

I use mostly 3/4 pipe clamps. You have to worry about keeping the heads in line is the drawback. The good part is you need a longer clamp you go the home depot and get a bigger piece of black water pipe. It will exert way more preasure than you will ever need to glue. It might be a little more expensive in the short run but the fact that you just need to get pipe for larger sizes wil save you in the long run.
I think the clamp head is about $13 and I would guess 3/4 x 18 pipe would be about 6 bucks.

Clamping is only half the story, you also need good joinery. if your glue surfaces are not perfect you'll have gaps in the wood.

I use 3/4" pipe clamps but my favorites are Beesleys clamps. Check them out on amazon

If you have a Rockler store in your area they sometimes have special sales on their pipe clamp heads. You can find deals there. If you do have one near by be sure and sign up for on line notification of sales. No connection here, just a happy camper.

Daniel

I bought about 24 clamps a year or so ago on E-bay. they are the quick grip type clamps. I also bought a couple of the cheapies from HF. the HF ones fell apart real quick but the ones on E-bay have held up just fine. I use them for some real harsh jobs and only one out of 24 have ever failed. this one had a single part that had been installed backwards and would slip under to much pressure. I reversed the part and it now works as well as the rest. I will try to find the seller again and post a link to his stuff.

Rudy Vey

I think the best clamps are the Bessey clamps, cost is high, though. Some years ago Sears had a close out and I got some of them very cheaply, then to HD for a price match plus -10%. Best deal I ever made, bought all their 24" clamps.

Jim Boyd

I personally have never had a problem with any HF clamp. That said I bought a bunch of Cabinet Masters when HD was clearing them out and I also have a few Bessy's. My go-to clamps are Quick Grips. Bowls and pens don't usually require big clamps[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom