Bar applications

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

SS

I've seen people mention the use of the tripoli and white diamond bars. I assume they are for finishing after the blanks have been sanded. Can someone illuminate me as to what is in these bars and how they are properly used? Currently I do not use a buffing system for my pen finishing, which is probably one reason for my ignorance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

After the finishing is completed (I use CA) I apply tripoli, white diamonds, and HUT Ultra Gloss plastic polish to the pen on the lathe and running. I touch the tripoli (brown) stick to the rotating pen and move from one end to the other applying a small amount of tripoli. I speed up the lathe and polish with a clean paper towel. I then do the same with white diamonds and finally the HUT ultra gloss. Do not mix up the paper towels. I have also used t-shirt material and after a few applications the compounds are impregnated into the material and very little new compound is needed. After a few pens I toss the t shirt material and start over. The HUT ultra gloss is a cream and a new applicator is needed each time it is used. After buffing I apply a TSW (Trade Secret for Wood) and the pen is finished, except for assembly. You will undoubtably get many other applications and buffing routines. I've t ried most all and find that this give me as nice a shine as using buffing wheels.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by SS
<br />I've seen people mention the use of the tripoli and white diamond bars. I assume they are for finishing after the blanks have been sanded. Can someone illuminate me as to what is in these bars and how they are properly used? Currently I do not use a buffing system for my pen finishing, which is probably one reason for my ignorance.

Randy_

Ron: Those are great links and very informative!! I wonder if there is a similar site that is directed specifically to buffing wood products and finishes??

its_virgil

Tripoli is somwhere around MM 2400 to 3600 if my memory is working. Going all the way to MM12000 and then tripoli will be going backwards. I usually stop MM at 3600 then use the tripoli and white diamonds.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by SS
<br />Thanks for the info. Are these products used in lieu of micro mesh or in addition to ultra fine abrasive sheets?

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />Ron: Those are great links and very informative!! I wonder if there is a similar site that is directed specifically to buffing wood products and finishes??

Randy
Same products, different label.

I use a product simular to Infinish SS-309 (green) and SS-300 (white)

TomServo

The best polish compound I've ever found is a light green "chromium" bar - it's slightly soft, and usually can be found at a gun show... it will polish anything from lead to stainless steel, and does a fantastic job on woods and particularly on plastic.. I used to use it as a single step from 000000 "Magic Sand" steel wool to full gloss.. what I liked best about it, is that if some of the polish gets stuck in the grain of the wood, it was soft enough to wipe off (a problem I encounter with most wax type compounds)

Anyone else ever tried this type of compound?

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by jkoehler
<br />i have found a BLUE compound. does anyone know where this colour fits in?
so. the colour order of colours....
brown then white?

I posted a while back the use of a blue compound for polishing antler.
The one I have was purchased from Lowes and the original purpose was to polish/buff plastics.
I think it was made by Dico, Lowes has since switched suppliers.
It does work great on antler,especiall if staghorn is present.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Don,

I have used the Beall wheels for years and it never occurred to me to go directly to the lathe. THANK YOU. It will speed up the process!!!

Faster, without sacrificing quality, is GOOD!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom