Band saw blades

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Wow. Who knew that replacing a band saw blade would make such a difference? I guess the Smokey smell coming off the saw when I cut a wood blank might have been a clue...

I know. I'll go stand in the corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Agree with you 100%. Dulling is so gradual that we don't often notice it. AND the right tool, in this case the right blade for the cut is so much better.

I have several Ryobi 18V (Li) cordless tools and bought a cordless Ryobi jigsaw two years ago. I thought it was junk after the first cut, but used it on rare occasions where I did not have access to close electrical outlets. About a month ago, I decided to change the blade to a new blade, hoping it would make a difference. THEN I noticed the problem - I had a "down cut" blade on it. I bought it when I bought the jig saw and never noticed that it cut on the "down cut". No wonder it bounced around so much! Now with "up cut" blade, it cuts like a new machine.

MRDucks2

As I have been trying different bandsaw blades, it has been quite a learning experience.

Price does not always dictate quality of cut or longevity in the under $100 range.

Even a cheap blade $25 or less cuts pretty well at first but may not last long. An $80 blade may be hard to tell any difference from a $50 blade.

AND setting the blade up according to the blade manufacturers directions can make a bigger difference than I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

sbwertz

I'm a great fan of the Lennox TriMaster. It is far and away the best blade I have ever used. It is a triple chip carbide grind and cuts so smooth it looks like it came through a planer. I cut a lot of desert ironwood and other high silica woods, and this blade has outlasted any other carbide blade several times over.

pshrynk

What size blade to get and cost? Philipff

As it turns out, my band saw is a 10" and not a 9" as I had thought. So the 62' blade just doesn't work. 17.5 for the 10" machine. It was about $20 at Menards. It was also the only choice at Menards, as usual. I'll need to get an upgrade but the new blade is working adequate to needs for now.

steamshovel

I'm a great fan of the Lennox TriMaster. It is far and away the best blade I have ever used. It is a triple chip carbide grind and cuts so smooth it looks like it came through a planer. I cut a lot of desert ironwood and other high silica woods, and this blade has outlasted any other carbide blade several times over.

Where do you buy the Lennox Trimaster? Sharon I use Ironwood also and blades get dull fast.

Preston

bmachin

A good source for all things bandsaw is Iturra Design. They don't have a web presence or even an (800) number as far as I know.

However their catalog is a great bandsaw/blade education. Give them a call at:
904-642-2802.

I think they charge 5 bucks for their catalog, but IMHO it's worth the price of admission. They're also very good with advice over the phone.

Bill

penicillin

My source for bandsaw blades is Industrial Blade. They have a wide variety of blades in large quantities, and they have the specialized equipment needed to make them to any length. Their service and support is excellent. They carry the Lenox Tri-Master blades, among many other brands and types.

index

sbwertz

Where do you buy the Lennox Trimaster? Sharon I use Ironwood also and blades get dull fast.

Two places...Iturra Design, and Bandsawbladesdirect.com. Iturra does not have a website...you have to order by phone...904-642-2802. Their price is a little cheaper but you have to pay shipping. Bandsawbladesdirect is a little more, but free shipping. It was $169 at bandsawbladesdirect. With shipping it was about $156 from Iturra. I ordered it on a weekend when Iturra was closed so I used the website to order it.

This was for a half inch 3TPI 105" blade for a 14" bandsaw with 12" riser. My last one lasted almost two years. It was getting dull towards the end of that time, but was still giving me really smooth cuts. Then I let a log slip and fell into the moving blade and ruined it! I use the saw almost daily to cut up logs to make blanks for the blind center, so it got a lot of use.

By all means get the Iturra catalog. When I inherited my grandfather's 70 year old bandsaw, I was able to get all the pieces to refurb it from Iturra's catalog.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Two places...Iturra Design, and Bandsawbladesdirect.com. Iturra does not have a website...you have to order by phone...904-642-2802. Their price is a little cheaper but you have to pay shipping. Bandsawbladesdirect is a little more, but free shipping. It was $169 at bandsawbladesdirect. With shipping it was about $156 from Iturra. I ordered it on a weekend when Iturra was closed so I used the website to order it.

This was for a half inch 3TPI 105" blade for a 14" bandsaw with 12" riser. My last one lasted almost two years. It was getting dull towards the end of that time, but was still giving me really smooth cuts. Then I let a log slip and fell into the moving blade and ruined it! I use the saw almost daily to cut up logs to make blanks for the blind center, so it got a lot of use.

By all means get the Iturra catalog. When I inherited my grandfather's 70 year old bandsaw, I was able to get all the pieces to refurb it from Iturra's catalog.

That is a 6" riser kit.:):)

sbwertz

That is a 6" riser kit.:):)

You are right....six inch riser to give 12" capacity. Senior moment.

Top Bottom