Ball bearings in Jet mini

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Mc

Has anyone seen a tutorial on changing the ball bearings on a jet mini?
I think one of my lathes is trying to tell me it's time![8)]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fshenkin94

I had the same problem. I took it into a local place that services Jet. They are replacing the shaft and bearings for about $100. Worth it to me since I'd proably screw it up myself.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I went through this a year ago and it is no biggie at all.
Undo the set screw in the hand wheel and remove it.Be careful, the is a thin spring washer next to the bearing on that end.
(remeber when reassembling it not to tighten up the hand wheel too tight.)
There may be a nut on the spindle shaft, it's been a while but if there is one it needs to be removed.
Un do the set screw on the drive pulley.Eveything comes out on the tali stock end.Remember the drive pulley is free so don't let it drop when yuo push out the spindle.
Check your spindle when it's out,mine was "scarred" causing a wobble.
IIRC there are two different sized bearing's.
If this is a VS model disregard the abovve instructions, I have never done one of those.[:D]
Also if this is the one you won last year remember there is a two year warrantyu.MHW tool group handles JET, they sent me my new bearings in 2 days.
If you have any questions you have my number.

M

Mudder

Caution:

I do not know how tightly the bearings are in the headstock but if you have to do any pressing at all make sure you ONLY press on the outer ring of the bearing to press it into the headstock and you support the inner ring of the bearing as the shaft goes in. If not you can cause what is called " Brinelling" this is where the bearing balls distort the raceways and will cause the bearings to fail quickly. Also: the bearings should have some sort of preload on them to keep them from allowing vibration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom