Backlog of recent pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from toddlajoie

toddlajoie

Haven't posted any pics in a while, so here is some catch up:

A pair of WC Atlas pens I made for (very late) Christmas presents for a friend's daughters, 2 pieces of acrylic (1 red, 1 purple) cut on angle and glued back together:

Pens%206816.jpg

Acrylic Cigar, cause I hadn't done one yet... Keeping this one for now:

Pens%206818.jpg

Blocks of acrylic similar to the line of Wall Streets I've done as a way to use scraps. This is a sketch pencil for SWMBO's friend's daughter

Pens%206825.jpg

Wanted to make a Birthday present for a friend's son, so I had him ask what his favorite colors were. They came back with "blue and orange" and I thought, no way am I going to find a blank that matches that. Well thank goodness for the Florida Gators...

Pens7167.jpg

My new favorite wood, Desert Ironwood Burl from our meeting at Bad Dog Burls (bought enough for 5 pens...) done on one of my favorite pens, CSUSA's Zen in Black Titanium (Henceforth refered to as the FBI Fingerprint Laboratory) Nearly lost this one to LOML, but recovered it with a promise to make here one of her own...

Pens7792.jpg

First of a series of 12 or 15 pens a co-worker asked me to make (5 or 6 sketch pencils, this is the first, and 4 or 5 each of rollerballs and fountains. The wood is from her brothers building blocks he played with as a kid, so I'm guessing that since it is 50+ year old maple it should be relatively stable. Most blocks are very plain grain wise, so I decided to try some segmenting to spice them up. This one has Aluminum roof flashing. I'm in the process of gluing up some others with copper, brass, purpleheart venier, maybe some plastic if I can get some thin stock somewhere local. One of the blocks I've cut up actually had some nice grain variation, so I'll probably leave them solid.

Pens7821.jpg

Comments (good, bad, constructive, derogatory, and even stuff from Jerry) welcome...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chance

I have some brass and aluminum but don't know how to glue them into a segment. What do you guys use to do this?

toddlajoie

I used CA glue on the one shown, I've tried Sumo glue on the others, but have not turned them yet, so I can't say for sure if it's gonna hold.

(and no worries on the hijack. If others with more experience chime in, we'll both learn something...)

greggas

Nice stuff Todd, especially love the DI Burl on the Zen ( my favorite pen style and my favorite wood) reminds me that I need to get in the shop and work the piece I got from Bad Dog.

You photographers certainly take nice pictures:)

nava1uni

Really nice work. Your photos are nice and it isn't just because you have good camera equipment. If you don't know how to use it the pictures will still be crummy.

Top Bottom