Back to my roots

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-of-1kind

It's been just over a year + that I've started pen turning and blank collecting. We've all come a long way during this time but this morning I purposely stepped back to reminisce at my early days where all my blanks appeared precious. I've been consumed by my wood gluttony and have been feverishly collecting a large blank stash. Some of the blanks are beyond 'exotic', they're almost too nice to turn. So in homage to my earlier days I went back and turned a 'simple' and yet elegant European sycamore blank and dressed it on my all time favourite 7mm European kit. Sometimes less is more.

Point of this conversation? There is none, except to say enjoy the beauty and simplicity of ALL pen blanks and even the less eye catching pen kits.

-Peter-

200641202916_MVC-007S.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Very well said. It may be time for me to do the same and take a little walk back in time. Thanks for reminding me that there are all those blanks that would love to be a pen all by themselves!

Originally posted by wood-of-1kind
<br />
So in homage to my earlier days I went back and turned a 'simple' and yet elegant European sycamore blank
<br />

Peter, the pen looks great. If you have any more of those blanks that you are unsatisied with .... you have my address[:D]

angboy

Very nice pen! Sometimes the simpler, not exotic woods are just as pretty. This wood certainly has a nice pattern of lighter and darker colors in it. I also tend to like the light colored woods more so than the darker ones.

You do make a very good point about admiring all of the woods. When I first started turning, I tended to like the plastics and dymondwood a lot. My dad would show me traditional woods and I really didn't appreciate the things in those blanks that he was seeing. But for some reason after I really got into doing it myself, I started to see the beauty of most woods, and see those things that I had been overlooking when I was thinking that the woods were plain.

Texas Taco

It is great to see all the works of art that so many have shown here but there is nothing wrong in my way of thinking to see a "simple" little ol' 7mm kit and "plain" stick of wood. [8D]

TomServo

Now, those blanks that are too nice to turn... you could send them my way, and I'll wear a blindfold while I turn them, so I can claim I didn't know what I was doing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom