Australian SA Silky-Oak with attitude...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi peoples,

This was the first time I've manage to convince the local timber mill owner, to share some wood with me, any other attempts I've made through these last 6 years, were unsuccessful.

This particular Silky-Oak tree was cut in town, many, many years ago by the mill owner, Mr Bill which is now 74 and recently passed the steering wheel to his oldest son, with most of the family working there anyway...!

This old tough bugger, is even worse than me with his timbers, and he has been doing it for over half century, still, very mobile and sharp this old fellow doesn't let anyone touch his "treasures" as he call them.

The timber mill works exclusively with Pines and any other trees of significance to the old fellow, he cuts and stores it all over the mill area, either under cover or not. That is a big place and one wouldn't not know what is under most of those big piles all over the place.

Mr. Bill was asked many times to share/sell a few slabs of this Silky-Oak but he always declined with the excuse that we wanted to use it for himself. The problem was, when I asked, on what...??? he would say, "one day I will find use for it...!:frown::mad:

There has been other woods that I asked for and the answer was always no but, since the oldest son is now in control, and is struggling with "organized" space, he has been pushing his father to get those piles sorted in and out of the shed, so that he can use the space better. Has been 1 year since the take over and only now the old fellow (always there anyway), is coming to terms with the fact that, he is getting old and is not going to be able to use all those treasures, that he has been putting a side for half century so, things are starting to get moved.

In the process, lost or not seen woods he knew he had there somewhere, are starting to appear and today I got cal from Bill, asking me to go over there with my trailler...!:eek::confused::)
I did obviously loose no time and got there in a flash, only to realize that he was waiting for me in his forklift with a pallet and some logs. I have never seen those but they have been there all the time, they were some smaller logs and a crotch log that he didn't slab from that "famous" Silky-Oak of his, about 15 years ago. When he found them, and with all the "nagging" I have been doing to him all these years about having some of the Silky-Oak, he decided that, they were of no use to him anymore so I could have them.

When I ask, how much for them, he said " is not going to be much but we will sorted that out when I finish moving these woods around, there will be a few other bits and pieces I've got here that you can finally have...!":wink::biggrin:

So, and not even blinking once I said, "no problems, mate, no problems...":)

This may have to do with the fact that, in the beginning of the year and in conversation with the son that is now in charge of the mill operation, he told me that the old fellow mention something about getting into woodturning, now that is retired and finally use many of his treasure woods. When I've heard this I though in throwing a bite to the old fellow, and offer to teach him all that has to do with woodturning and help him to get everything he needs, saving him some good money that way...!:rolleyes:

Anyways, the one way or the other, and after all these years waiting, I may get a few species of wood that I don't have from this old fellow. One thing he did guaranteed to me was, like myself, I only collect local woods, my range is 25km, his has been about twice as that, still, one can maintain that, its still local...!

I can tell that this wood I brought home was not under cover as was full of soil/dirt and absolutely water saturated, probably in the very bottom of one of the many piles that I've been checking out, but they kept putting 4' wide pine logs on top, making impossible to see what is underneath...!:mad:

Spend the afternoon and evening cutting some of this Silky-Oak into pen blanks and I can tell you, this wood is old and is full of character and colours. I've got them cut is straight (with the grain), diagonal and cross, this was from the straight logs but when I got slicing that big crotch piece, the colours and grains are totally madness as you can see in some of the pics attached.

I will get some samples turned and finished from each cut type, very soon so, they will be interesting to see...!

PLEASE REMEMBER: This is not a classified add, this is only an introduction informational thread about this newly acquire local old Silky-Oak.

Any blanks from this wood that will become available to share with everyone, will be done in the appropriate "Individual Classifieds" section, in due time...!

Thank you...!

PS: This will be wood #51 on my timber list that the current list doesn't mention, yet...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_2924_(1).jpg
    100_2924_(1).jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 218
  • 100_2925_(1).jpg
    100_2925_(1).jpg
    301 KB · Views: 248
  • 100_2926_(1).jpg
    100_2926_(1).jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 298
  • 100_2927_(1).jpg
    100_2927_(1).jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 228
  • 100_2923_(1).jpg
    100_2923_(1).jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 204
  • 100_2928_(1).jpg
    100_2928_(1).jpg
    304 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Yes, you can post something, in here...!

Hi everyone,

I should remind you all that, is OK to post here, your opinions/thoughts about the wood shown and anything else you may want, LESS making an order for some of this wood, apart from that, type away...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

David Keller

It's neat looking stuff, George! It reminds me a bit of macadamia nut wood. Congrats on your persistence paying off!

I may be wrong, but isn't silky oak one of the timbers notorious for causing allergic reactions in some folks... I know any wood can do it, but I seem to remember hearing something about silky oak specifically at some point.

ohiococonut

Hi everyone,

I should remind you all that, is OK to post here, your opinions/thoughts about the wood shown and anything else you may want, LESS making an order for some of this wood, apart from that, type away...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Most of the time I just read what you post and find it very interesting. If you hadn't told us it was wood, the last three pics look like a horrible rash gone bad :eek:
Have you chopped up everything within a 25mi radius yet? You've probably got your neighbors scared to death you're gonna take your chain saw to their house, lol! "There goes George, better watch him. He chops up everything into little pieces"

Seriously George, that's some nice wood and from what I've been reading you put a lot of time and effort into what you do. For that alone you've gained my respect and admiration.

robutacion

Thanks guys,

jbswearingen,
You are right mate, and I'm only scratching the surface of what is around, I would need to live to 500 years old before I would get around it all but, that ain't happen nor I wish so. I wouldn't mind to see all of what is around but I wouldn't certainly wanted to live that long...!:frown:

David Keller,
Macadamia nut wood is not something that I'm very familiar with but, I'm not surprised at all with your observation. In fact, this wood as the most similarities to the #30 Bottle Brush I have, amazes me how many tree species out there have these type "rays", cell structure and colours...!

This wood have also a lot to do with my She/Bull-Oak, and one other that I have recently cut in large quantities the "Australian Casuarina" #49 on my timbers list, not yet introduced here...!

I remember to have heard something about some woods that some people are very allergic to, I don't recall Silky-Oak being it or one of them, I know that lots of people have problems with the Sassafras wood but I have yet to develop any allergic reaction from wood, and quite honestly I hope that I can live the rest of my days this way, or I would be a very sad person...!

ohiococonut,
Hahahaha mate, you said "the last three pics look like a horrible rash gone bad :eek:" well, these are the sort of rashes I don't mind to have...!:wink::biggrin:

You would be surprised how small of a "dint" I have caused around here, most people don't mind to have me around, particularly those that require tree maintenance or tree work done, as they know we work only for the timber and that is a very small portion of what would cost them if they would call the Arborists/Tree people, have you pay recently for a days' work for a 2 person arborist team...??? that can go up to $1.500 in some cases...! so, I'm a great bargain to all these people that need tree work done, huh...???

I/we also appreciated greatly, your words in respect for our work, we do in fact work damn hard to get what we got...!:biggrin:

IPD_Mrs,
Thanks mate, is always a little reward at the end of my stories, the pics can certainly make one's mouth water...!:wink::)

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robutacion

A few samples

Hi peoples,

I've selected a number of blanks to turn as samples, they are a combination of the 3 most common cuts and I will be adding them as I go...!

Here are the first couple from this wood. I've finish one tonight that is absolutely stunning but, I have to wait until tomorrow to take some pics during day time...!

Enjoy...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_2948_(1).jpg
    100_2948_(1).jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 100_2950_(1).jpg
    100_2950_(1).jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 100_2952_(1).jpg
    100_2952_(1).jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 100_2954_(1).jpg
    100_2954_(1).jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 121

robutacion

OK, here it is the sample I mentions yesterday.

Pics don't do it justice, as parts of the logs I cut, produce lots of pen blanks that show off chatoyance, giving them another coloration dimension.

I have also finish the Silky-Oak Cigar pen that I made for the old fellow from the timber mill, hope he likes it...!

Wood still show an excessive level of water content so they (pen blanks) will be drying for a little longer.

I have also cut yesterday a couple dozen of single, double and some triple, bottle stopper blanks, they should be ready at the same time as the pen blanks...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_2969_(1).jpg
    100_2969_(1).jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 122
  • 100_2988_(1).jpg
    100_2988_(1).jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 100_2968_(1).jpg
    100_2968_(1).jpg
    276 KB · Views: 125
  • 100_2967_(1).jpg
    100_2967_(1).jpg
    276 KB · Views: 126
  • 100_2964_(1).jpg
    100_2964_(1).jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 125

robutacion

Some more Silky-Oak...!yummy.

Hi everyone,

I still have a couple or so, more samples that I want to turn from this wood but, I'be been a bit busy working on other woods...!

Some of these wood, have come from the old fellow (Bill) from the local timber mill, last Saturday where we went around negotiating bits and odds...! Geezzzz, this old fellow is a hard person to bargain with, he is also a wood "nut" and even tough he has to clean the yard for his soon, now in charge, he still doesn't want to let "things" go, and while I'm on the receiving end, after all these years waiting, I understand perfectly, what he is going trough...!:frown:

We will meet again next Saturday for some more "bargaining" but, at this point, I have increased my timber list species, with 2 more new species, the local old Walnut (from a Walnut farm 25km away) and some Australian Blackwood, which I have been trying to get for a long time. They are native and exist in the area but, those that got them, don't let them go that easy.

This one amazingly, was cut from the large block of land (private property) dead on smack, in front of the timber mill (other side of the road), as the land owner is one of Bill's mates and he got the privileged to cut it down, after it became too big (old) and started to be eaten by the enormous wood worm, which is the size of a persons' little finger.

These are white with black heads and Aborigines eat them as a delicacy, well, I'm not Aboriginal and I eat a few, when in the Northern Territory a few long years back. They can be eaten raw (if you got the stomach for it) or cooked in the coals, (open fire), they are very nice that way, not so good raw...!:eek::redface: (one of the pics as the entry hole of one of these, that eat the wood from the inside out, with time, messing the wood pretty bad as they, apparently can eat in straight line, that or, they drink and drive...!:eek::wink::biggrin: damn buggers...!:mad:

So, I scored a couple of the Silky-Oak edges from the 2 large logs he milled long ago, there are another 2 bigger ones (edges from the other log) that will be mine sometime, hopefully, next Saturday...!:confused:

I have been busy cutting these new woods up, and I will start a new thread for each of the species but, in here, I will add some pics of the Silky-Oak edges I brought home...!:biggrin:

I know, you think that I'm a "bastard" by teasing you all, with my "discoveries/treasures" but, in the end of the day, you can always have a bit of it, if you want so, the tease can easily become a reality...!:wink:

Enjoy...!

Attachments

• 100_3000_(1).jpg
    100_3000_(1).jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 100_3001_(1).jpg
    100_3001_(1).jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 119

robutacion

And some more turned samples...!

Hi peoples,

This wood has so many variations that it seems that the samples are a never ending thing but, I'm getting close to have enough samples turned of this wood to give a good idea of all its differences.

Here are some more...!

Enjoy.

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_3044_(1).jpg
    100_3044_(1).jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 100_3046_(1).jpg
    100_3046_(1).jpg
    278 KB · Views: 108
  • 100_3048_(1).jpg
    100_3048_(1).jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 100_3049_(1).jpg
    100_3049_(1).jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 112

robutacion

Some more Silky-Oak edges...! that will be it.

Hi peoples,

Today, being Saturday, I've made another visit to the local timber mill, to collect the rest (well, most of it) of the Walnut and I managed to get the other 2 Silky-Oak edges he had from slabbing the biggest log, so now, there are no more edges, only slabs and those, old Bill ain't going to sell them, that easy...!:eek::frown:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_3118_(1).jpg
    100_3118_(1).jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 100_3119_(1).jpg
    100_3119_(1).jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 100_3120_(1).jpg
    100_3120_(1).jpg
    282 KB · Views: 109