attempt to cast some bottle stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RonInSpringTX

Howdy all. There's an area near where I live called "Old Town Spring" (been around since the early 1800's, google it sometime!!) Anyway they have probably 70-80 shops carrying anything from jewelry to Amish furniture & just about anything you can imagine!! One shop is called Dave's Pepper Palace, he sells probably 200 different kinds of hot sauce, jellies, t-shirts, etc. I showed him some of my pens, & he thought they were great!! (of course!! [8D]) But he asked me if I could make some kind of "pepper pen". Only way I could think how to do this would be to hand-carve to get the "ripples" of whichever pepper to make it look right. Plus, I'd still have to get the ends to the appropriate pen bushing size. I had an idea to pour some casts for some bottle-stoppers & see if he might go for that. I'm going to try & "float" maybe like a habanero or serrano pepper.

My Question finally!!! I have a quart of each resin & hardner of some stuff called Kraft Kote. I bought it for about 1/2 of what it actually sells for. (I think about $30 for both bottles) I used it to make some coasters floating some small sea-shells, & they turned out pretty cool. They say it's a 2-step process, pour first coat, let it set for a bit, then put the objects you want to "float" & pour the 2nd coat a couple/three days later. Dunno if I wanna wait that long for fear that the mixture won't bond as good to the first pour. (since I'm going to be turning it) The bottles say that it is a clear polymer. Do you think this will be strong enough to turn, or should I add anything to it? The coaster finish is very hard, so I'm not sure. I will add a little dye to the mixture.

Any ideas are welcome, as always!!! Even on the idea of making a "pepper pen". Had the idea of casting some real small peppers, plastic if I could find 'em, but no luck.
Thanx in advance!!!

Ronnie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
The main problem I see with casting whole pepper pods(I think that's what you meant) is that they are mostly filled with air. I've never cast, so I'm the wrong one to give advice here, but I suspect that if the air was not removed (replaced?) then the pods would float to the top of the blank before it had a chance to cure.

sbell111

I agree that a real pepper is not likely to get you the quality that you are looking for. I would look for a pepper-shaped pin or earing and cast it like Ed casts his '3d Resin Bottle Stoppers'.

What if you tried a dried pepper? It has less air (as Bob was saying) and it is still a whole pepper. You may want to stabilize it first, I can definitely see it working with a chipotle, Habanero, or Scotch Bonnet. And if you really want to get fancy, paint the habanero or scotch bonnet peppers their original bright color (maybe before stabilizing) to give them an extra splash of color.

This is something I've also thought about, being a chilehead myself. I'm interested in your results.

jwalt191

I have had luck casting pins & such in bottle stopper blanks. I cast one thick layer using a color PR and glued the pin to the top of it. I then poured some clear PR in the same mold, and it worked out pretty good. If you are worried about air, you could try injecting resin into the pepper. Just a few thoughts.

Top Bottom