Attempt at denim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

smoky10

You sure can, thats the way I do it. I mount the tube on the mandrel, either cut the denim in thin strips or one piece that will circle the tube plus a little extra. I use med or thick CA to get started gluing. I turn slowly, by hand, applying the glue under the denim as I go. When its wrapped I soak it with thin CA, let dry and turn. Remember to wear breathing equipment or have a fan behind you blowing the fumes away and do not glue yourself to the blank. [:I] [B)] I have a couple in my album.

alamocdc

Yep, I do it like Tom. Just remember to keep it tight as you go, and go slow. Otherwise you may get air pockets and these tend to do strange things when you hit them with a skew at speed. DAMHIKT

Hosspen

Yep, and might I add that you pay attention to the direction of the wrap when you slip the rolled blanks onto the mandrel. That way your skew won't be trying to unravel the denim as it turns. I use a CA finish and have had good results. Right at the ends of the tube seem to be the most likely place to have to add CA as that's where the most will be turned off. Just take it easy and enjoy turning something different. Please do remember what smoky said about safety.

alamocdc

Originally posted by stevers
<br />You thought about casting them in PR or alumilite? Just another thought.

I have... in fact you can buy them, but I can't remember where. Pens of Color maybe. Anyway, I did think about it several years ago and decided against it. It would basically look like denim wrapped around the tube, but then you have the seam to worry about. Plasticizing the actual denim (using CA) gives the pen a completely different look that you could not dupllicate with casting. While you can tell that mine are denim, they don't look like denim wrapped around a tube.

smoky10

If you wrap your own they all look different. You can change the look by the way you wrap them.If you overlap them 1/4" they will look different from ones overlapped 1/2".

txcwboy

I took a full leg of wranglers and cut them into 6x4 ish pieces. I had enough to make well over my target block of 3/4 inch . It compresses a good bit.Laid one on wax paper, rubbed it with fiberglass resin with half the drops as it recommends.Then layered it over and over covering each piece pretty fully.Put another piece of wax paper on top, put it between 2 boards and used C clamps to clamp it tight. Let it sit a day and then cut it into 3/4 pen blanks. Turns like wood.Wrapping a tube is for whimps [:D] JK go for the gusto ! lol

Dave

alamocdc

Dave, I've done some Desert Camo material this way (I think I posted it in my photo album), and will likely do other materials in the future. I just like the varied looks I get w/wrapping.

arioux

Hi,

Nerver done it before. Do you actually sand thru the denim or do you make sure that the CA coat is thick enough to not touch the denim with your tool or sand paper?

Alfred

mick

Alfred, I wrap em like Billy does (matter of fact he told me how..lol)and here's what I do. I build them up until they are slightly larger than my bushings. Don't go to much larger as the combination of denim and CA is very hard, and I do mean VERY HARD. Turn them down as normal, well as normal is something VERY HARD can be turned and then finish with medium CA building up as needed any low places or voids. Sand and polish as you would any "plastic" blank

LouisQC

Since this was my first, the CA coating was a little low on some spots (I only was in a hurry to assemble it...) I'd say do not sand to the denim, or if you do, add a little CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom