Assistance please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-of-1kind

Can someone kindly to help me identify this wood specie? I turned a pen with it last week and today Mr. Cook provided me with another two(Thank you Stan). It's nice wood to turn and has a very distinct 'wavy' feature but it's killing me not knowing what it is. I can't sell it without being able to identify it to my potential customer. Thanks for the assist.
-Peter-
20068121344_P8010001.jpg

2006812140_P8010002.jpg

20068121415_P8010004.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

I labeled the ones that I knew. The turned pen could be maple but the fine wavy lines in it looks more like sapwood, possibly afzelia or something similar. This is however, merely a guess.

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by mrcook4570
<br />I labeled the ones that I knew. The turned pen could be maple but the fine wavy lines in it looks more like sapwood, possibly afzelia or something similar. This is however, merely a guess.

I can assure Stan that the turned pen is exactly the same wood as the two that you generously sent me. I think that Dario may be correct with the 'myrtle' label. This is based on a match from the 'hobbithouse' site. I really want to be sure before I sell the pen. Appreciate the responses received so far.

-Peter-[:)]

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by vick
<br />I would guess Myrtle

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
20051019151250_MyrtleElGrande.jpg
<br />

Now, I'm certain that it is myrtle. Thanks, Mike. By the way that is a great pen and a fabulous finish.

Darick, the myrtle turns very well but it has a rather 'light' feel to it and I went real slow (turned at 1800 RPM). It has a very distinct grain as Mike's pen attests. The colour may seem dull but the grain pattern really makes a nice presentation.

-Peter-

vick

I agree it turns very easily pretty soft for a hardwood but does not tear out badly (for bowls). A local store actually carries bowl blanks but they seem to have alot of inclusions in them, not sure if it normal for the larger pieces or just normal for the store[:D].

Dario

I think Myrtle and Myrtlewood are not the same.

I think both pics are Myrtlewood. I am positive about Mike's because I know where that wood came from [;)]

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by Dario
<br />
I think both pics are Myrtlewood. I am positive about Mike's because I know where that wood came from [;)]

Then I guess that I'll have to sell the pen as myrtlewood. Thanks for clarifying the post.

-Peter-[:)]

vick

Sorry I did not realize the actual name was Myrtlewood not Myrtle wood[:I]. I looked it up and Myrtle is actually a plant not a tree.

Dario - The wood for that pen came from Kevin's garage[;)].

Just kidding the wood was cutoff corners from a bowl blank Kevin got from Dario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom