Asking For help for a good Cause

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

reddwil

Thanks to Steve Busey for asking me to repost this under our chapter forum

First off, Sorry if this gets long....

Over the past three years I have lost my father, two uncles and three cousins all to cancer. In November my mother was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer. Seems like it never ends. Last Friday I took my mother for her chemo treatment. I was shocked to my core at the number of children and young adults who were there recieving treatment. As we sat there I struck up a conversation with a young lady of 19, who has been battling cancer since she was 11. As we talked she noticed the pen I was using doing crosswords with. She said she would love to have one, So being me I gave it to her. In thanking me she said something that eat me to my soul. She said that it was the little things that people done that "Gave her Hope". Needless to say I didn't sleep much and came up with a plan that I can do. This past Monday, I took 25 pens and passed them out to the patients at the Oncoligist office. My daughter even got involved by making and donating croched hats for the kids who have lost there hair. The thank you's and kind words were overwhelming.

So here's my plan and where I need your help. I want to make more pens to donate to these young people who bravely fight for the lives.

I DO NOT WANT MONEY, This is not meant to be a Fundraiser. But if you can, just clean up your shop. Find those old blanks, cheap kits, acrylics, extra parts, nibs, clips, tubes, that stash of slimlines that won't sell. What ever you have laying around that you won't use that can be made into a pen, send it to me. I will make the pens, but I simply can not afford to buy all the materials my self. Make some and donate yourself.

My neighbor who is a printer has agreed to donate business cards with the IAP logo and the back will read..

Pen's of Hope

On behalf of the Member's of the International Association of Penturners.
Please accept this handcrafted pen as a token of our caring support.
www.penturners.org

My plan is to take the next batch to either Scotish Rite Childrens Hospital or Egelston Childrens Hospital here in Atlanta. And Please if anyone has any suggestions, comments or ideas, please share.

PM if you can Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Redd

Sounds like you were really touched by the situation, and you have my sympathies for the losses in your family. I have a sister in law who has battled cancer and your statement of "its the little things" strikes home for most people.

I would love to create pens for this project. I think we usually have enough time and machines at the meeting to have folks turning pens. So here is my idea, if you want to turn some pens while we are at the next meeting, we can get the lathes humming and get a few pens done for Redd to distribute. I will be happy to bring a few kits and blanks to turn and donate, and I challenge anyone who wants to donate the kits and blanks that we will find someone to turn them, or if you want to bring some turned pens, we will get them into Redd's hands. Please let me know what you folks want to do. I am putting myself down for a few pens that I will turn and donate. How about the rest of you????????? Let me hear from some people!!!!!

Robert

reddwil

Guys I would really appreciate that and thank ya'll all so much. I've started the process of getting blanks ready to turn. I will bring plenty to the meeting. I've sold a couple higher end pens this week at a charity auction and turned the money back into order kits. Hopefully they will be in by the meeting. Members have sent me close to a 150 blanks, so I have my work cutout for me. But thats what I wanted and look forward to getting the pens out.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
If you are coming to the meeting and want to turn kits for the event, assume that there will be nothing to help you turn. So bring your favorite turning tool, sandpaper, finishing method, and everything else you think you will need to turn a pen! I am sure we will have folks there that will have some extra stuff, but assume that you will be turning things on your own!!

Top Bottom