Artifact

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

So what do you do when your blank has some cracks and flaws that go very deep and you have some reactive paint on hand?

Bottom hollowed vase, 9" tall

D78EE0CF-3293-4CC3-85EA-E5C92B099D3B.jpeg
78382B05-4835-4ADF-A1EA-DC1D8F2F573C.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Ha !!

Where did you dig that up ?

Very nice idea and realization ..... says my archaeologically-attuned brain !!!

Now tell me ... after the bottom hollowing ... does the bottom get instated (or perhaps re-instated) ?

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Interesting. Maybe let it sit for 3-4 weeks and see what evolves? ๐Ÿง I love the initial profile.

Cwalker935

Ha !!

Where did you dig that up ?

Very nice idea and realization ..... says my archaeologically-attuned brain !!!

Now tell me ... after the bottom hollowing ... does the bottom get instated (or perhaps re-instated) ?

I turn tenons on both ends, turn the external profile leaving some excess space on the bottom, put some alignment marks on the bottom of the piece and the parted off section, flip the piece around and remount using top tenon, bore a hole and hollow the bottom section, turn a plug on the parted off piece and glue back into the bottom lining up the alignment marks, remount the bottom, part off the top and hollow, and part off the bottom section. When done properly the plug is barely visible.

Cwalker935

Interesting. Maybe let it sit for 3-4 weeks and see what evolves? ๐Ÿง I love the initial profile.
I've been looking at classic pottery and bronze profiles and this one caught my eye. I plan on lightly going over the green portions with steel wool after it cures a little more. It's too solid in certain areas.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I turn tenons on both ends, turn the external profile leaving some excess space on the bottom, put some alignment marks on the bottom of the piece and the parted off section, flip the piece around and remount using top tenon, bore a hole and hollow the bottom section, turn a plug on the parted off piece and glue back into the bottom lining up the alignment marks, remount the bottom, part off the top and hollow, and part off the bottom section. When done properly the plug is barely visible.

Excellent, brief tutorial here!!! All info is detailed. ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Your work never ceases to amaze me, Cody. Thanks for sharing & explaining your procedure. Beautiful piece of work!

Top Bottom