Article Contest Format question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Hi all,

As the prizes have all been rounded up and I don't know the meaning of 'free time', I've signed on to help out by doing the article contest.

The way I've approached it thus far is that it would have two postings. In the inital posting, the contest is explained, and people are asked to nominate an article that they feel deserves consideration as the 'best' article in the IAP library - using whatever judging method they prefer...most informative, most innovative, most comprehensive, etc. That person would then nominate that article, and it would be entered into the contest. Each person can only nominate one article, but you don't have to nominate anyone to be able to vote in part 2 of the contest.

This would therefore thin out the number of articles for consideration, and each article would get more attention in the voting portion of the contest.

In a day or two, a new posting would be created with the names of the nominated articles. People would vote on their favourite via email - again only one vote per member.

Contingent on the number of prizes available, prizes would be awarded for first, second, and third place, and a bonus prize given to the person who nominated the first-place-winning article.

Sound OK so far?

Should there be a cap on the number of articles that are nominated? First 15? I'm not sure how many people will actually look over and consider in depth, so I don't want too many...how was it done in the past?

Rules:
Obvious one: The article must be in the IAP library
2. The article must be written (i.e. not video) ??
3. Only one nomination per member
4. Only one vote per member
5. You must read ALL of the articles nominated by the members!

Contest will take place during the second week of January

Any suggestions/concerns? What would you change?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

Would it be possible to leave the nomination phase open for a week and then have voting for a week? I don't know if this is necessary but would give everyone plenty of time to look over the articles and give them more consideration.

Scott

Hi Andrew,

This looks great so far! Starting this the second week of January, there is time to let it run for a little while. Say, give them three or four days to nominate articles. They would nominate by posting in the forum so everybody can see who is nominating who. They should post a link to the article they are nominating, and maybe a short explanation of why they think it is the best. In the nomination phase I don't think I'd let on that we intend to award a prize to both the author and the person nominating, or people will just go and nominate every article eligible! After the nominations are closed we can let them know we will award to both.

I think three or four days should be sufficient for nominations. One day would probably be sufficient, but a couple of extra allows any stragglers to chime in. Then I would run the voting for probably a week. Voting by E-Mail is probably the best here. We want to give people time to read the articles if they wish. I don't think I'd require everybody to read all the articles to be able to vote. They would ignore you anyway. But we can encourage them to read them all.

Good question about the video! Should we allow videos to be nominated?

I don't know if you should cap the nominations. We have never run an article contest before, so we're making this up as we go! [8D] I'm thinking ten would be plenty. We were also thinking of keeping the eligible pool of articles to only the past three months, but I don't know if that is a very big pool? Maybe all of 2007 would be better? Maybe we should take a look at how many articles we're talking about?

Remember, these are just suggestions. I don't have an inside track on what's right or wrong (Probably I'm more wrong most of the time!).

I'll be back later!

Scott.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
If we don't cap nominations, I'll likely take a bit more time tabulating the votes...I could have them send the name of the article in the subject line of the message to save time...

If we're only talking about articles from the past three months, though, then we won't have many more than 10 to start with, will we? I'm still undecided on videos...what do you all think?

I've set up an email for this - if Jeff's watching - it's:
birthdaybash2008 at gmail dot com

fiferb

I think we should include all articles for 2007 to include videos. Both are a type of instructional media that improves our pen making. If we include all this year and this becomes and annual event, then next year could be all of 2008. I'd hate to have someone submit a very good article or video 4 months ago and be disqualified for it.

Top Bottom