Are you one of those Folks who----??????????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Max

Likes doing everything the hard way.

2006919221820_rattler.jpg

Ok now I am ready to make a Rattle snake pen.
Oh they don't taste just like chicken either----cut into chuncks and cook slowly on the grill with a little BBQ sauce.
Remember---Waste not want not

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Judging by that skin, you're in for some work! It looks very stiff. The stuff I use, as well as Don, is as soft as tissue paper.

Gary Max

I cast my first skins today----the skin is stiff but seems to work alright.
So far I have lost 68 lbs since last Nov---still got a ways to go yet.
Skye after skin the snake how are you drying it? I am using a Boric product.
I have a small black snake that I am going to make into some pens also. He was road kill------hehehehe

Skye

I leave mine alone for 24 hours. Beats me if that's longer than necessary or not long enough, but it works for me. I noticed that after a week or so, the block was a lot harder. I turned this one about 24 hours later I think. Seemed to work ok.

You may want to check into some skin 'tanning' methods. I don’t think it's really tanning because it doesn’t gain any strength, it's just silky soft. I've heard of some kind of vegetable/veggie treatment. No idea what that means, just something I heard off hand.

alt.jpg

I cover the fresh skin with salt about 1/2" thick and leave for a week or two. Then brush all the salt off and rub with pure glycerine from the drug store. Rub again in a couple days. After it's good and dry, turn it right side up and gently brush the transparent scales off and it will be soft and plyable. That's a beautiful skin Gary, and congratulations of the wonderful weight loss. Skye your casting and pen look wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom