Are these chair parts commercially available?...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have an idea for something new that I want to make and if I can find someone who sells these particular parts it would make going into production so much easier. I'll picture them below but the two parts I'm interested in is the leg of an older style chair as well as the top back brace. The leg has a good bend to it and the top brace is 'bent' as well and tapers from the bottom to the top. Any idea where I should start looking to find these parts? Thanks.

PS. Sorry, I kept getting 'file size too large' when I was uploading so I had to cut out most of my pictures to get them to send.

PPS. In the case these parts aren't commercially available how I would go about making them?

crop 1.jpg

crop 2.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Sorry but this does not make sense. You say you want to go into production, why not make the entire chair. if you do not have the ability to make certain parts, just change to an easier design. Or find someone to go partners with. Spindles are easy to find. But if someone is making custom parts I think they would make an entire chair. I guess you could look up wood chair parts mass produced and go from there.

jttheclockman

If you are looking to make yourself, most things like that are bent using molds and laminated pieces. bending spindles maybe bent using a steam bending method. Not all woods are good for this kind of work though so you need to pick woods carefully. It probably will be costly either way doing it yourself or having it farmed out.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Curved round posts as in your first pict are usually made with a draw knife and sanded then steam bent, but some posts are turned on the lathe and then steam bent. Not all woods lend themselves to be steam bent equally, some do much better than others. As John mentioned above, thin strips laminated together is how many "curves" are made. The curved back with solid wood is usually made with a bandsaw. Both of these require considerable experience with the tool and choosing the right wood for the product. Of course there are probably other tools involved to help get the right shape that are needed.

By doing a google search for chair plans, you will have to go through dozens or hundreds of plans to find the one that show what you want. Some plans are free but many are not.

Last edited:

Robert Taylor

I think that if you go to Lowes or Home Depot you can probably find these shapes in their lumber stacks, being sold as good useable wood. I don't know/understand what you wish to build but paying someone to make custom parts would probably erase any profit. However if you have the "bound toos" get a chair at a garage sale or flea market and build a prototype.

Top Bottom