Apricot wood, anyone...???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

robutacion

Hi peoples,

To void any future confusions and or problems, I started this thread (add) here, as this wood/blanks will be put for sale on here and on my eBay store very soon...!:wink:

At the moment I have the Apricot wood pieces that I got from a old Apricot tree planted by my auto-mechanic 20 odd years ago and that is dying of old age. I got permission to cut one half of the tree that has been dead for a couple of years but the rest of it is not going to survive for much longer, or fruit maybe ever again...!

I didn't take pics of this Apricot tree when I left last Friday but I will, next time we are down there...!

The half trunk and the 3 short branches where all in one piece when I got them but, I only thought of the camera, after I had cut it with the chainsaw, ready for the bandsaw, when I got home...!

What you see, is a wood that is old for a fruit tree and that is totally dry for work. It has amazing colours and grain with the added bonus to be a crotch piece, for most of it.

There are only a hand full of blanks that I could call, "straight grain" the rest is all twisted and swirled. I have cut a portion of this wood in diagonal cut, mostly of the most straight branches still, the grain is crazy...!:biggrin:

I have also a dozen or so pieces that are the same 21mm square but about 8" to 10" or so long that I didn't cut, just in case someone needs something longer or make cuts to get the most use out of the length...!

The wood is not very heavy, therefore it will make things a little cheaper when it comes to total weight Vs number of blanks...!

I'm considering AU$2.5 per blank + freight @ 21mm square x 130mm long, both cut types, the longer ones I will price accordingly...!

Please, don't put any order yet if you are interested, you can show your expression of "interest" in here (PM's will not count...!).
I need to sand, wax and group these blanks and make a count of the quantity available of each type and length so, and until I add the groups of 5 or 6 blanks of what is available, keep tuned, I will be back...!

NOTE: Expressions of interest will not count, when the blanks groups are shown, first come first served only then...!

Thanks.

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Are you selling the 'full chunks' or just fishing?

Scott

Hi Scott,

"Negative" to both counts.

If you read my post right, you see that I say that the wood has been all cut into pen blanks and I'm not fishing as such, I'm showing and letting everyone know what I got recently and advise those interested that it will be on sale very soon...!

This may give extra time and will keep those interested on stand-by for my add, reducing the chance for them to miss-out...!:wink::biggrin:

I was also very excited about showing them, before I had the chance to finish all the work I still need to do on them, and then take the pics, transfer them to Photobucket, reduce size to IAP allowance and then created the add with all the links in the right place, never a 5 minute job, for sure...!:biggrin:

I'm keeping 10 of each cut type, the rest can go, and if I get the permission to remove the rest of the Apricot tree (root and all) I will have no problem to dig it all out myself and plant a new Apricot tree, in the same spot with lots of fresh top soil and fertilizer to make it goooooo.....!:eek::wink:

If that happens, I will have then 2/3 more than what I have now, not including the root which I hope that is not rotten beyond use...!:confused::frown:

I hope I answered your questions...!:wink::biggrin:

PS: if I get the rest of the tree, I will use it to cut some other size blanks, including bottle stoppers and others...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

SDB777

Scott

Hi Scott,

If you read my post right, you see that I say that the wood has been all cut into pen blanks and I'm not fishing as such, I'm showing and letting everyone know what I got recently and advise those interested that it will be on sale very soon...!

This may give extra time and will keep those interested on stand-by for my add, reducing the chance for them to miss-out...!:wink::biggrin:

I was also very excited about showing them, before I had the chance to finish all the work I still need to do on them, and then take the pics, transfer them to Photobucket, reduce size to IAP allowance and then created the add with all the links in the right place, never a 5 minute job, for sure...!:biggrin:

I'm keeping 10 of each cut type, the rest can go, and if I get the permission to remove the rest of the Apricot tree (root and all) I will have no problem to dig it all out myself and plant a new Apricot tree, in the same spot with lots of fresh top soil and fertilizer to make it goooooo.....!:eek::wink:

If that happens, I will have then 2/3 more than what I have now, not including the root which I hope that is not rotten beyond use...!:confused::frown:

PS: if I get the rest of the tree, I will use it to cut some other size blanks, including bottle stoppers and others...!

Cheers
George

I was hoping to get in before you cut them down is all(would have liked some in bottlestopper size)....would have loved a couple of 'slabs'! The rootball should still be okay(at least it shouldn't rot unless it's sitting in water)?

When will you know about the rest of the tree/rootball?

Scott (PM sent too) B

robutacion

Scott

Hi Scott,

Cheers
George

I was hoping to get in before you cut them down is all(would have liked some in bottlestopper size)....would have loved a couple of 'slabs'! The rootball should still be okay(at least it shouldn't rot unless it's sitting in water)?

Scott (PM sent too) B

If I get the rest of it, I will not cut it all in blanks blanks, for sure, the question is not if I get it but when...! If the rest of the tree shoots this spring, I may have absolutely no hope until his convinced that, the poor tree is just too old to do much more as a fruiting tree BUT, instead of rotting on the ground or be firewood for him, I can salvage it and make and allow others to make beautiful stuff out of it, huh...???

I'm afraid, grabbing one of these Apricot blanks and make him a nice pen, is probably going to work against me as he would thing that I just want to get the tree off the ground, regardless, due to the magnificent pens and other stuff I can make out of it so, trying not to shoot myself in the foot, I should make a different approach, and see what happens...!:wink::biggrin:

And if I succeed, you can have your bottle stopper, then...!:)

Cheers
George

SDB777

Scott

Hi Scott,

Cheers
George

Scott (PM sent too) B

If I get the rest of it, I will not cut it all in blanks blanks, for sure, the question is not if I get it but when...! If the rest of the tree shoots this spring, I may have absolutely no hope until his convinced that, the poor tree is just too old to do much more as a fruiting tree BUT, instead of rotting on the ground or be firewood for him, I can salvage it and make and allow others to make beautiful stuff out of it, huh...???

I'm afraid, grabbing one of these Apricot blanks and make him a nice pen, is probably going to work against me as he would thing that I just want to get the tree off the ground, regardless, due to the magnificent pens and other stuff I can make out of it so, trying not to shoot myself in the foot, I should make a different approach, and see what happens...!:wink::biggrin:

And if I succeed, you can have your bottle stopper, then...!:)

Cheers
George

If the tree grows shoots, take a few, apply some 'root hormone' to the sapwood(peel off the bark with a knife....leave it rough so the powder sticks to it), and place in a bucket of water until roots are at least 4" long. Plant in a 50/50 mix of vermiculite/potting soil, then water every day. Trade him 5 trees that will be of the same 'lineage' as his tree for that the tree that is damaged(and starting to die from within....it's worth a shot).

Thought ya'll would be entering 'fall' in the southern hemisphere now?

Scott (gonna make me figure the difference in currency:eek:) B

robutacion

That resembles Olive wood. The same grain pattern, same wide annular rings. Are they distantly related???

The only thing they have in common, is that, they're both "fruit producers"...!:wink:

Yes, you're right, I had the same thoughts when I first saw it, I even made a comment to a personal friend that some of this grain/colours mix, would put some of the best Olive wood "gems" I've got, into shame...!

There is no "gene" connection to these 2 species, both like the Mediterranean type climate, that is for sure...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

Full Apricot tree(S) in my yard...!:)

OK peoples, some good and some not so good, news...!

The main apricot tree (the one from where I cut the other half), is in my yard, in the trailer. With it is its closer cousin, another Apricot tree, not as old and of a different variety, these are the good news...!

The bad ones, is that I could not recover any of the root balls, unfortunately. After 2 hours digging around the smaller tree first, I didn't went far as the soil is very compact and full of rocks. I also found very strong roots going in all directions just a couple of inches off the top soil, with a second layer of roots just under that and god know how many more layers I would find, not counting the possibility of a "tap" root.

Going as deep as I could in 2 hours digging like mad, and after using a 16mm heavy duty rope attached to a 4x4 tow ball, and lots of wheel spinning, I couldn't see any movement at all is this small tree butt so, I cut my losses and sacrifice 6 18" chainsaw chains to cut into the base in a pyramid shape into the root, trying to recover at least some of it, which I did but the bar and chains are nearly destroyed, sometimes I wonder if I was using a chainsaw or a 9" grinder...!:eek: talking about sparks...!:mad:

Anyway, they are all in the trailer, and will be there for a couple more days as , no strength left to get them out when we got home this evening, tomorrow we need to go back for another day of fighting with a tangled mess of Melaleuca shrubs (not trees) planted as a privacy screen, at my auto-mechanics property.

These damn things grow fast and wild, and after a few years of light pruning, his wife died of breast cancer (41 years of age) 7 years ago and, many things stop being done, pruning these damn shrubs was one of them, and I can tell you that, when I saw it, I knew that the wife and I we would be up to some painful and prickly work, and for the first 2 days, done when I cut the Apricot half tree out, we used every swear word we could think of but today, within an hour of hell, we got to a corner that made hell look good, geezzzz, that area was impenetrable, about 8 meters wide and 3 times my height, about 5 meters, at least, when these trimmed shrubs as privacy fence should never exceed 1 meter wide and about 1.8 to 2 meters tall...! And I started with 80 meters long, of this thing...!:mad:

Tomorrow, if we can move at all, we "may" be able to finish this thing, which as been cut down to the bare base, 1 foot tall so that it will start the growth all over again and this time, I will make sure, that thing gets trimmed when the time comes, the one way or the other, he has been told...!:wink:

After this step done, we can then get back to the tree trimmings and cutting that still we haven't touched. About 2/3 is done but still a lot of threes that some have been already marked and many other that we haven't go that close yet but, today I have spotted another "treasure" in there, that the next time you go there, after we recovered for a few weeks, we should be getting that tree line worked on and, I may have another well worth find.

Oh, I nearly forgot, next week sometime, we have to get a trailer full of garden top soil and manure, and we have to buy 2 proper nursery trees to replace what we took. He want to plant 4 new trees, but I don't think he want any Apricot trees this time, I reckon he wants some citrus tree of some nature, that's what I picked up when he asked if he could pic any fruit tree species we wants, I have no problem with that but we will pay for the other 2, while we will dig and plant the 4 new fruit trees in the best spots available.

This is important to have done right now, while the fruit trees are still dormant but very close to star shooting, after all this could weather we had/have...!

So, may friends, we are damn saw, that bloody digging didn't help me at all but, we recover as most Apricot as was possible, some areas are dry as the other half I got first but 75% of what I've got, will not be dry and ready for some time, I will keep everyone updated on this...!:wink:

So, and without further a due, here are the Apricot trees, where they lived for many years, and just before, they were "attacked my George...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_2790_(1).jpg
    100_2790_(1).jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 100_2791_(1).jpg
    100_2791_(1).jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 100_2792_(1).jpg
    100_2792_(1).jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 151

robutacion

Thanks everyone, I appreciate to be told when those parcels arrive.

I'm a little concerned about the only parcel that was sent to Canada (Glen-R), in the middle of the Canadian Post saga...! I only hope that the box doesn't go to just disappear, I would like to think that, it will take a lot longer to arrive at his hands than predicted but, it will arrive, eventually, so I hope...!

I wonder I long is going to be, before we start to see some Apricot pens...???

PS: The wood still in the trailer, I may try to get a little done this afternoon, and maybe not, we are still too damn saw from yesterdays' mechanic fight with the Melaleuca shrubs...! (We glad they are all cut and burnt...!:biggrin:)

Cheers
George

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
Put me on the list too! Take care and Thanx, Randy

OK peoples, some good and some not so good, news...!

So, may friends, we are damn saw, that bloody digging didn't help me at all but, we recover as most Apricot as was possible, some areas are dry as the other half I got first but 75% of what I've got, will not be dry and ready for some time, I will keep everyone updated on this...!:wink:

So, and without further a due, here are the Apricot trees, where they lived for many years, and just before, they were "attacked my George...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

robutacion

Sure Finatic, I will get you some...!:wink:

I endup not touching the wood in the trailer, instead I decided to give a proper service to my hard working bandsaw, a good clean, belts mentioned, grease where it needed and most importantly the replacement of all the 6 bearing on the guide system, this time I got good quality bearings...!

Table re-set/re-aligned, angles right, rubber in the wheels cleaned and smoothed out, all other bits and pieces and finally, the blade, this time I didn't put a new one but I re-set its teeth and gave it a good sharpening...!

Now, the bandsaw is ready to tackle another 3 months of work, before I do it all again...!:wink:

I want to start going through what I brought home as, the dead, dry wood is only a small percentage of what I got there, the rest will need to dry for a little while before is ready...!

I have mention yesterday that I didn't manage to rip/dug the roots out as the soil is hard and full of rocks so I mention that I remove the butts by performing a "pyramid" cut. For those that don't know what I'm talking about, I'm attaching some pics of the cuts, there is, what is left on the ground...!

The cut itself is an upside down pyramid shape, this allow the salvaging of some of the root, but not much, 15 to 20%, maybe...!:frown: Anyway, and as I always say, "a little bit of something is a lot better than plenty of nothing...!::wink:

Lets see soon, what ready to use wood I'm going to get from this lot...!:confused:

PS: Also a couple of pics from the Melaleuca shrub hell, we worked on Monday and Tuesday, all 80 meters of it...!:eek::mad:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_2795_(1).jpg
    100_2795_(1).jpg
    301 KB · Views: 142
  • 100_2796_(1).jpg
    100_2796_(1).jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 161
  • 100_2799_(1).jpg
    100_2799_(1).jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 100_2802_(1).jpg
    100_2802_(1).jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 100_2805_(1).jpg
    100_2805_(1).jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 142

robutacion

yeah , George
If there's a list for Apricot wood, put my name on it.

Russ

There is no such thing as an Apricot list, at this moment and I don't think that after my last sales, will be that many more people interested, however, I will make sure those that are showing interest on my second round of blanks, will be notified in due time so that, no one miss out, there is, of those interested, obviously...!

I may cut some bottle stoppers blanks, if there is some interest but it not, all will be cut as pen blanks. The smaller the pieces I cut, the more people will have a chance of some...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

SLICKYINC

I want some too, but I cant figure out if there is or isnt any available. Are you offering it for sale, or just talking about the wood? Ill be honest, its kinda hard to cipher.

robutacion

When and where, to talk about buying my woods...!

I want some too, but I cant figure out if there is or isnt any available. Are you offering it for sale, or just talking about the wood? Ill be honest, its kinda hard to cipher.

Hi SLICKYINC,

Sorry mate, I understand your confusion as I normally make an introductory thread about the wood, where I specifically request that people don't make any orders on it as, it would automatically be considered "advertising" by the IAP rules, to which I understand and accept without problems.

The thing is, where to put (IAP forums section) theses introductory threads, where people know that, the wood will be on sale sooner or later but, I don't want to get "whipped" by the Mods, because someone make a buying reference or a gave a selling reference...!:frown:

By IAP rules, the "Penturners" section, can not be used as advertisement or anything to do with sales/purchases but, I can see any other section where my introductory threads will fit more appropriately, after all, everything I do here, has to do with penturning so, makes a difficult situation to decided where to put these threads without run into troubles with the Mods/Admin.

I find that IAP and all its members, are much better served to have these, always very informative threads in a location that people will find them, if searching. I don't know many people that would be searching or looking into "classifieds" to learn about some woods or related info...!

BUT, in this specific case, and because I knew that the wood was ready for sale (last lot), I knew that people would start to give expressions of interest (orders) for it so, I decided to start this introductory thread not in its normal location (Penturning) but in the classifieds section under the "individual classifieds" which is really what I am...!

Therefore SLICKYINC, and sorry to take this long to answer you question, where this thread is located, you can express as much interest as you wish and make any orders, that will be no problems to anyone, we safe here...!

Still, I don't think that, this is the right place to be for the nature of the thread, and I would be welcoming any advice the Admin./Mods are willing to provide. I'm also concern about the pic limits on this section, which is no issue in the "Penturners" section...!(to a point, obviously...!)

So, my advice to everyone is, and while I'm not sure of any better locations for mt introductory threads, look where the thread is located at (section), if in the "classifieds" buying, selling issues are not a problem, if not in the classifieds section, restrain yourself to make any transaction (buying) "insinuations/reference/", that will save me and everyone, a lot of troubles...!

Thank you...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

nava1uni

I received my apricot blanks yesterday and they are very beautiful. All of the blanks that I have purchased from you over the past few years have been GREAT, even with the cost of postage they are more then worth it.
Thanks again.

robutacion

I received my apricot blanks yesterday and they are very beautiful. All of the blanks that I have purchased from you over the past few years have been GREAT, even with the cost of postage they are more then worth it.
Thanks again.

Thanks Cindy, your words mean a lot to us...!:)

It has been my priority over the years, to take into a great deal of consideration all my sales to overseas, particularly to the US and Canada. They are and have been from day one a magnificent way to show case my findings (woods), resulting in a considerable amount of woods never seen before. All the info that is always provided with each wood species, gives everyone a certain degree of knowledge that would be difficult to obtain, otherwise...!:wink:

Overseas freight costs are and have been one of my great concerns and frustration "givers", blanks prices always reflect my attempt to minimize the negative result of shipping as, my particular attention in making the groups selections to attract the minimal shipping costs possible.

In all, I'm doing the best I can...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

LeeR

George,

I PM'd you about receiving the apricot blanks, but will repeat here, in case nobody is aware ( :) ) -- they are really beautiful.

I also Paypal'd you for the extra cost of the postage, and wanted to let others know that it cost you more to send than you originally quoted, and you would have just let it go. I feel others should be aware of your generosity.

Great to do business with you!

robutacion

George,

I PM'd you about receiving the apricot blanks, but will repeat here, in case nobody is aware ( :) ) -- they are really beautiful.

I also Paypal'd you for the extra cost of the postage, and wanted to let others know that it cost you more to send than you originally quoted, and you would have just let it go. I feel others should be aware of your generosity.

Great to do business with you!

Thanks Lee, most appreciated...!:wink:

I think I need to clarify what Lee is trying to say about shipping cost. When I make the packs, I weight a number of them to make sure they are withing the weight limit required for the shipping charges I quoted/charged. This is absolute total weight, including the tape that is needed to rap the box properly.

Working on such low weights, normally 250 and 500gr up to 2kg, particularly the first 2 low weights can become a little tricky as, only needs one blanks the weight 5gr more the expected weight to cause some troubles at the Post Office counter.

What happen is, the "idiot" that I have owning the Post Office in this little town, hates our guts because we give him to much work to do with all these very small overseas packages and he hates work so, and instead of putting the main scales on manual to accommodate a few packages that can be a few grams over, (manual set weighing is the option most "reasonable" Post Office people use when dealing with someone that they know and that provides hundreds and hundreds of parcels for processing at their business, making that person a good client (me) but, not for this guy, that is the rudest type person you ever encounter behind a counter...!:mad:

So, this guy being so "considerate" towards us, (my wife Merissa is the one now, to take the parcels in so that I don't do anything that I will regret later) and being told 1.000 times not to process any parcel that is a few grams over the normal weight, and give it back, no, he sets in in automatic mode so that even 1 gram over will charged to the next level charge, such as 251gr make me pay the 500gr charge, and in the case of the 500gr limit, this is even worse as 501gr to the US, means that I'm not only going to be charge for 750gr but, it will also attract the extra $9.00 for the US Customs Sub-charge, making the actual shipping price of some of these parcels, more than the total value I've received including the wood value...!

This is easily confirmed from the price tag that is on the parcel when you receive it. Obviously, this only happens to a few parcels, and that to me is far too many, as given the opportunity (all parcels weighed with my non-calibrated digital scales) which never seems to match his, getting the parcels back I could easily remove some square corners and get those few grams out but, as soon as he presses that "enter" button to activate the registration process, I can not have it back an have to pay what we wants...!

Official complains to the Australian Post, have only resulted in one written warning, which made him like us, even more...! The next Post office is 25kn way...!:frown:

One day, we will get all he deserves, I hope to be around to see it...!:wink:

PS: So, you though that I lived in paradise and everyone is "lovely", huh...! In your dreams, in your dreams...!:frown::rolleyes:

Cheers
George

robutacion

Hi peoples,

Just a quick update on the Apricot blanks...!

The 2 Apricot trees main trunks, have been all sliced out put to dry a little.

There are 2 lots of wood, the dead/dry one, same as the previous piece, have all been put separate to the green(ish) one, drying also in drying towers.

I have cut about 2 dozen of bottle stoppers (2.5" x 1.5") so cut from a small dry blanks, just ideal to make them. These are the pith in the middle, or there about's and will make interesting BS's. All BS blanks are dry and already waxed on the end-grain, just in case...!

All the dry(ish) blanks, I've decide to let them bread a bit before I wax them, as they were a little water soaked so, they way they are racked, that extra moisture will dry reasonably quick as the weather up here has been miserable with strong winds, lots of rain and high humidity so, certainly not the ideal weather to dry wood but, we will get there...!:wink:

All that is left from these 2 Apricot trees are limbs/branches, some still of good size but are green(ish), they will take one year before I even consider to touch them, unless I sell all the dry blanks and I decide to cut the green stuff so that they dry a lot faster, will see...!

I will expect to have a small % of these packs available for sale on IAP next week, the rest this time will be going to my eBay store, so that all the other pen turners that buy regularly from me through eBay, have some available for themselves also, only fair, huh...???:wink:

All for now..!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_2819_(1).jpg
    100_2819_(1).jpg
    291 KB · Views: 135
  • 100_2835.jpg
    100_2835.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 139
Status
Not open for further replies.