Anyone used Behlen's Master-Gel??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rduncan

I'm relatively new to penturning but like the idea of trying various finishes. I have a bottle of Behlen's Master-Gel and just tried using it a couple hours ago on a plain Maple blank that I embellished with some color for the FP project. So far it looks like it might be a simple yet durable finish. I can't say how glossy it will be but then again not all pens look the best super shiney (at least in my opinion). I must confess I'm not sure exactly what it is however. Initially I thought it was simplky a wiping varnish. My quick Google search indicates it might be a urethane finish. Places say it's alcohol resistant. Ideas or comments on Master-Gel??

GregD

Originally posted by rduncan
<br />I'm relatively new to penturning but like the idea of trying various finishes. I have a bottle of Behlen's Master-Gel and just tried using it a couple hours ago on a plain Maple blank that I embellished with some color for the FP project. So far it looks like it might be a simple yet durable finish. I can't say how glossy it will be but then again not all pens look the best super shiney (at least in my opinion). I must confess I'm not sure exactly what it is however. Initially I thought it was simplky a wiping varnish. My quick Google search indicates it might be a urethane finish. <b>Places say it's alcohol resistant.</b> Ideas or comments on Master-Gel??

Does that mean you can use it when you are drinking? I haven't used Behlen's Master Gel so I can't say for sure.

vick

Did not see a lot off information on it. A lot of places will use the terms polyurethane, and varnish interchangeably. If you look at what is says to use for clean up (water, mineral spirits, alcohol, ect.) it will give you a clue as to what it is.
water - water based poly
mineral spirits or paint thinner - varnish or oil based poly.
alcohol - shellac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom