Anyone turning pool cues?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cozee

I've been asked a few times if I turn cues. I don't but since there seems to be a few possible buyers, I just might start!! :D Just looking for any info on turning them and where to get supplies.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

Originally posted by cozee
<br />I've been asked a few times if I turn cues. I don't but since there seems to be a few possible buyers, I just might start!! [:D] Just looking for any info on turning them and where to get supplies.

There is more to it than most people think. At least that is what I have found out by knowing some cue makers. Do a google on cue making.
Atlas Billiards
Cueman
Unique products
Prather
Just a few off the top of my head. If I have time tomorrow, I will check on a couple of others.

kent4Him

I looked into it this last year. I had no luck finding someone to sell me the hardware. There's lots of direction out there on the web, but without the hardware, it did me little good.

Paul in OKC

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />For almosst anything imaginable that you need in making cues, check out Cue Components.
That's the other one I was looking for. Thanks, Lou.
A friend of mine builds cues, but doesn't sell supplies. I make patterns for him.
www.camscustomcues.com
Another friend does sell things sometimes,
www.oklahomabilliards.com

melogic

For almosst anything imaginable that you need in making cues, check out Cue Components.

That's the site I have bookmarked and have looked at several times. I have a few guys that I work with that invest several hundred dollars a year in new pool cues and they want me to make them one so bad they can't stand it. I may have to get into this just to satify them if for no other reason. Anyone else have any thoughts, comments, suggestions, pro's, con's anything on turning pool cues?

cozee

Cool, they finish some cues with CA to!!! Thanks for the link Lou! That is a good place to start!!

Paul in OKC

The guys I know that turn them use a metal lathe. They have a bar attached to the back for the tapers and points, and use a router on the tool post to cut. Also have an index plate and chuck on the back side of the spindle. They are very picky about tolerances and fits and finish. More to it than I first thought. The shaft is one piece. The butt end (handle) is usually three pieces- butt sleeve, handle, and forearm, more if they use rings on them. It is pretty fascinating to see the process of a good cue.

DWK5150

I know someone who does turn pools cues. they do use a metal lathe when they turn theres. Your fit and finish has to be perfect with a cue other wise it wont stay straight. There is another place for cue supplies and that is Mueller products they have a pool cue lathe for sale but its $4,000 for those interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom