Wanted Anyone have an extra faceplate lying around?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Xel

One that'll fit the Jet mini which is 1" 8-TPI. When I bought my lathe from the widow whose husband's it was, I was such a neophyte to turning that I (and she) didn't know what was supposed to come with. 😣 Looking to finally be able to make a sanding disc so Rick's offset jig can stop taunting me from my worktable already...

Happy to pay postage + what you think is fair, though the freer the better! Just thought I'd check here in case someone has one collecting dust.

Thank you. :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred Bruche

+1 with Pete's suggestion. I have made many "jigs" using that tap and plain maple, for sanding, reverse chucking bowls to finish the bottom, etc...
If you go that route you'll also need a 3/4" (Forstner works great for me) bit to drill the hole before threading.

Reactions: Xel

Penchant 4

One that'll fit the Jet mini which is 1" 8-TPI. When I bought my lathe from the widow whose husband's it was, I was such a neophyte to turning that I (and she) didn't know what was supposed to come with. 😣 Looking to finally be able to make a sanding disc so Rick's offset jig can stop taunting me from my worktable already...

Happy to pay postage + what you think is fair, though the freer the better! Just thought I'd check here in case someone has one collecting dust.

I have one that you are welcome to have for postage only. Message me if you are interested in more information.

Bill

monophoto

Another option is to thread your own wood faceplates so that you can have different grits or to use for special projects. It does mean you will have to get a drill bit the right size too. CA glue can be used to reinforce the threads.

Pete
Good advice. You can order a 1"x8tpi tap at Ace Hardware (they probably won't have one in the store, but can get one from their warehouse in a couple of days) for less than $20. Using that, you can make as many faceplates and specialty wooden chucks and fixings as you need.

philipff

You can buy a big nut to fit the lathe, have a welder spot weld it to a piece of scrap iron/alum and the mount a board to any size. Square it up and you will have a face plate. Should cost about 1/2 of a store bought one. P.

TonyL

Yes. I have one. You can have it. Never used. PM address and I will send. That's it.

jttheclockman

Now I am from the school of why??? They are not expensive and by the time you buy all the tools needed to make it you can buy a few. I have extras lying around and use them for jigs and things that are easy to build off. The faceplate is true and you do not have to worry about warping and twisting if made from wood. Just an opinion.

Xel

Pete, Fred, and Louie: Great suggestion all. That spindle tap has been on my Christmas wishlist for a while, and the only reason I haven't been more aggressive about getting it is it looks especially useful for reverse chucking bowls (as Pete pointed out). Still a small spindle turner at this point but you can bet when I start doing bigger things than pens I'll push my family a little harder on it! Good idea on using CA for reinforcing the threads: I hadn't thought of that...

Ed: We do have a farm supply nearby and I'll be picking up some this week. Thanks for the video; ever the resourceful one. :)

Phillip: I don't know any welders here yet so it looks like I'd have to learn before doing your suggestion, heh.

John: I do like the resourceful Macguyver-ing of shop stuff with what you've got, but in this case... well, the faceplate way is definitely efficient at my current aptitude for making jigs. I guess I'm just trying to save as much time as possible, since it's something my field doesn't have a lot of nowadays. So yeah. Maybe you and I are from the same school (but different classrooms? :p).

A big thanks to Bill and Tony for checking their stashes and being so generous. I'll edit my first post and surely pay it forward here on IAP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom