anyone have a HF Dust Collector??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

emackrell

I got the latest HF flyer yesterday and noticed that they've got their 2HP dust collector on sale ($169 and another 15% off). Anybody have one of these? How do you like it, how well does it work? And did you upgrade it with the fancy filter, or leave it as is?

I need some sort of dust collector in my itty bitty shop (read: walk in closet). This would be overkill now but would save me buying a little twinkie one now and a big one when I move in a year or so.

Appreciate any info from those who have and use this model (or had it and threw it in the trash, whatever).

cheers Eileen [8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

If you are talking about this http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45378 I also heard some good things about it.

I don't have it but have something similar from ShopFox (only mine is 1.5 HP). Mine also came with a 30 micron bag filter which is a big joke and a health hazard. I lined the lower bag with heavy duty 45 gallon trash bags (from Walmart) and replaced the upper bag with this http://www.grizzly.com/products/g5556

Works great after that.

Again...I am only relaying my experience which may partly apply. Whether the HF DC is actually comparable (or better?) I have no idea.

emackrell

Dario, thanks. Ignorant question: are all the bags interchangeable? Or did you have to modify the Grizzly bag significantly to make it fit a non Grizzly DC?

cheers Eileen [8D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I have one of their smaller ones hooked up in tandem to a Delta.
The HFDC usuall advertised on sale for around $179.00 is a highly touted sleeper deal from HF that has a plug on it.
Personally when either one of my smaller ones goes belly up(knock on wood), I will get the HF model.
Woodnet has a lot ofinformation but their search function is no where as good as the one here on thte IAP.
Check woodnet tools discussion board.
(It is a large unit, how big is your closet?)
YOu will have to upgrade the bags but that is something you would nned to do with most all of them.

Dario

Originally posted by emackrell
<br />Dario, thanks. Ignorant question: are all the bags interchangeable? Or did you have to modify the Grizzly bag significantly to make it fit a non Grizzly DC?

cheers Eileen [8D]

Not all bags are interchangeable...but in this case the Grizzly bag was actually a bit bigger (both diameter and length) than my Dc had. Nothing that the band cannot easily handle though [;)]...it had little wrinkles on the side but no leak that I can see (believe me it will be easy to find after running the DC a few minutes).

Draken

I have the HF unit, you're welcome to come over and check it out if you wish. You can see the JoolTool at the same time. [:D] I haven't yet upgraded the bags on it, but I really should. I plan on doing that as part of my workshop renovation and enlarging.

Cheers,
Draken

beamer

Never seen a bag that could do any real good collecting after a few minutes of caked-on fine dust. So I called Rick up at Wynn Environmental and ordered their canister filter. It easily doubled my airflow, without question. More expensive, but worth every cent.

http://www.wynnenv.com/cartridge_filters.htm

Rick's a really great help, they know their stuff there. I got the fabric one, hoping it'll outlive me :D

Eileen,
I have one.. bought it last fall when we moved up to TN... works great, has good air flow.. I have it set up with only two tools on it right now.. still need to get another hose to attach table saw.. don't think I'll hook miter to it.. I move that around too much.

I did have a problem with mine last week.. don't think it was fault of the DC, but my switch shorted out.. think we got a power surge and zapped the switch. I called HF for warranty since this was only 10 months old... I was thinking at the time it was the motor since I had power to the plug, but it wouldn't come on... silly me, never thought about the switch.. anyway, the young girl sent me a new motor, sans switch, so I pulled the old one and discovered the real problem... cost me for a new switch, but now have a spare 2 HP motor.... I'm pleased with mine.

Jim,
If you have the room, I put my DC outside the shop in a separate closet and ran the hose through the wall. Helps on the noise tremoundously.
I don't have any problem with the dust leaking, but I think I will be wise to buy a more efficient bag..

jeffj13

I have this DC and it works just fine. It is clearly one of the hidden gems at HF. I swapped out the bags with the Grizzly bags and they fit fine.

If you want more discussion about this DC, woodnet.com has many members who have one. A search of HF DC should bring a wealth of information.

jeff

Woodnknots

I also have this DC and am quite happy with it. I keep it upstairs in my shop, so I don't have any problem with any dust leaking, and probably wouldn't even know if I did, being upstairs. I have my planer, jointer, bandsaw and tablesaw all hooked up to it, with no problems. I have blast gates at every tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom