Anybody sign your work?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ZanderPommo

I've considered writing my signature with a fountain pen, scanning it, and laser engraving it in a tiny font somewhere on all the pens I make. I don't mind if it's hidden under the clip or something, but conceivably, if I make it to 60, I'll have been selling pens for 45 years and will (ideally) be pretty good at it.

I still consider myself a novice thanks to the incredible things I've seen from the masters on this forum, but I don't think I'm likely to ever surpass the skill of these Titans we all know and love, but I've accepted that. 😂

What has stopped me from doing this years ago is my feeling that it's in some way pompous, because I'm lacking in the skill I feel like signing my work might deserve. The other more basic issue is that my laser doesn't work very well on acrylics, and I wouldn't want the new addition to my process to be inconsistent.

One day however, I hope to get to a point where things I've created are able to be verified as something that came from me. That may not add any value, but it would be fulfilling to know that I have pens all over the world with my "makers mark" on them.

Have any of you done this consistently with your turnings? If so, and if not, what are your thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I used a custom branding iron on my scrollsaw work. Over the years I stopped doing it or I would just forget. Always thought it was what artisans did. My pens I do not sign and would never sign. To me it is dumb looking. I can see if you do it under the clip where it is not seen and then you can always keep track of your pens if you have to repair. There is one person here that went on to be a big name pen maker and had small metal initial tags or some sort of logo made up that he glues them or incorporates into the finish of his pens. The big name companies have ways such as on the clip or a logo in the cap as a finial or something like that. Bu they are a company and not an individual.
IMGP0485.JPG
If you think you are that type maker then that can be something and come up with a logo.
IMGP0347.JPG

Lmstretch

I don't remember who, but I have seen one individual that uses gold or silver water slide decals to put a signature on his pens. His pens were high end pens that had larger diameter.

RDHals

I too have a brand for larger items like bowls, vases and such, but I went to a stamp for my cocktail smokers. People seem to get a kick out of it. I changed to the stamp primarily for the cost savings. I made it myself out of scrap so the cost is just for the ink pad. I don't think I would put any kind of a signature on a pen, unless perhaps it was very small and etched into the clip.
I have seen one person that put their initials on all of the pens they make and sell, I don't care for it myself. The initials are not small.

Attachments

• CS11C.jpg
    CS11C.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 34
Top Bottom